Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
We use pieces of felt. But then again we use felt here as our house wrap as it's the only thing that works.(around here) We back caulk as well. It it's the felt that does the work. Does a great job of keeping water from getting behind your siding below.

I do see plenty of jobs around here that do just rely on caulking and it makes me cringe.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Way too much moisture. They have newer products that work that are essentially a Tyvek type material with the drainage lines weaver in and a felt over the top. Tyvek just doesn't stand up here. No local suppliers even carry it.

You can use Tyvek, but you better put felt over it around here.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
During install we use the "rain drain" house wrap. It has a string about ever inch apart running up and down to allow water drainage.

On the seem I like the metal flashing like shown in the link minus the foam strip. I like the idea though.

Side note trick. .....If your helper forgets to add the butt seam flashing and nails the end. Instead of trying to remove the nail with high risk of damaging the board. Just use a punch and drive the nail in further into the structure (enough to let the flashing slip behind and not drive it so far as to create a hole in the house wrap and be able to hang a picture on the inside sheet rock) then flash and renail end.

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
we just use felt paper, on one job we were using the scraps of aluminum coil stock and the peices that were damaged just to use it up

·
Registered
56 Posts
I used to use felt, but then I read somewhere that you shouldn't because when the gap opens the felt is exposed to the sun and can deteriorate to the point of failure.

I'm sure most would argue the minor sunlight is inconsequential, but it made enough sense to me that it could happen over 30+ years of exposure. I now use aluminum. Easy to cut pieces to size from leftovers. It only sucks keeping a stack of squares in your pocket because it guarantees you'll slice yourself at some point.

I'm not sure where I read this, but I think it might have been a Mike Guertin article. I'll see if I can dig it up when I have more time and not reading CT on my phone at lunch.

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
We did a hardie job. Pre-finished white siding. We used the white vinyl or plastic rolls of flashing. Just made up a bunch of flashing cards on the break. Worked really well.

·
Sophisticated Siding Guy.
528 Posts
I'd never use tyvek or tar paper. Tyvek is suspectable to UV and i'd be afraid tar felt would bleed down onto the panel.

Color matched coil stock is typically what we use. You can make 360 5x8 cards for around $80 plus an hour labor. We typically have a scrap rolls that are a close match so essentially it's a win win. Clean out the shop and save a couple bucks.

If I was in a high rain driven area like beach front It would probably be worth the investment for the pro line cards that are referenced in the first post.

·
hack of all trades
1,144 Posts
woodworkbykirk said:
we just use felt paper, on one job we were using the scraps of aluminum coil stock and the peices that were damaged just to use it up
For some reason I heard that fiber cement shouldn't be used with aluminum trim/flashing. I used galvanized coil behind my joints and caulked (the one time I installed FC) Anyone else heard they're incompatible?

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
For some reason I heard that fiber cement shouldn't be used with aluminum trim/flashing. I used galvanized coil behind my joints and caulked (the one time I installed FC) Anyone else heard they're incompatible?
I sure hope not. I've always used aluminum (including when I did my own house 10 years ago) and haven't ever had a problem.

·
Premium Member
1,106 Posts
dielectricunion said:
I'll go under if so....

I like coil stock and a rattle can.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts