Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my first post here and hope it hasnt been asked to many times to not get a response.
I am bidding a fiber cement siding job the overlapping kind, I had to give the owner an idea of how much for the labor I already have the roof ( metal shake), soffit, fascia (aluminum ), half round gutters (steel )
The house is 1 story with 2 smaller dormers on front just above 4/12 porch roof. area where garage meets main house gets siding 7/12 roof. Gabled house so there is a couple 2 story gable work.
I am roofer by trade (past wood roofer) and can install the siding well pretty easy. Apx. 2300 ft of siding.
I figured an install price of $2.00 ft. verbal
I am in the chicago area and its new construction.
Is this a fair price? high/ low?
Thanks.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Out here in the sticks of Mo, we'd bid that at $150 per sq, $3 per linear ft of soffit and fascia. Unless you get into the half-rounds, then it can go $175 a sq on the siding up to $200 for jobs calling for detailed designs with multiple colors. I'm sure going rates are higher up in your area. There's you a ballpark to work from. If you can get $2 a s/f that's considerably higher, maybe I'm not charging enough. Hope that helps a bit though.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Glad it helped out a bit, I guess Grumpy's still on his honeymoon, he's up in your area & might have some other thoughts.

What brand and style of siding is the customer looking at using? We've only done a handful of fibercement jobs, costs on materials usually send customers to a cheaper material, kind of like composite decking, I've bid alot more jobs with these superior materials than we've done. We use Certainteed's Weatherboards line, great stuff, will last a lifetime, totally impervious to insects and rot and you can paint it. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not yet sure of the style, but the brand is James Hardie. He's going to do it, just depends on who.
The whole thing is kind of sad in a way, I have been shooting straight with homeowner, and seems like others involved are not. He's ( homeowner ) his own GC and is learning things as he goes. I normaly do not do new construction,am only here because of the metal roof, thats how came into this.I figure since Im here, I might as well do other things to.
Do you guys use a house wrap down there? They are not offering it to the homeowner here.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Didn't you say you're in Chicago? Can't imagine a new house not being tyvek wrapped. I would definitely recommend it to them if I were you, they will thank you down the road, it'll really help seal off the drafts. What is that Hardiplank you're talkin about? Man I really like the Weatherboards, looks excellent when it's done, especially on old victorian style houses with the turrents, I'll have to post up some pics of one we did a couple of yrs back, still looks brand new, funky colors IMO, but no accounting for some people's taste :rolleyes:

If you're interested I can hook you up with a link to an install manual in pdf format for the Weatherboards, most of the lines go on about the same way.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Didn't you say you're in Chicago? Can't imagine a new house not being tyvek wrapped. I would definitely recommend it to them if I were you, they will thank you down the road, it'll really help seal off the drafts. What is that Hardiplank you're talkin about? This is what we weatherboards Man I really like the Weatherboards, looks excellent when it's done, especially on old victorian style houses with the turrents, I'll have to post up some pics of one we did a couple of yrs back, still looks brand new, funky colors IMO, but no accounting for some people's taste :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
House wrap all walls. Usually the carpenter does this.

I'm at $270 for 6" horizontal hardie, not including ANY trims.
I'm at $7 for 1' aluminum soffit and fascia.

I do little to no new construction. I have found housedocs prices to be the average for new construction.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Yeah I was giving him an example of new construction prices, obviously price goes up if it a remodel where old siding has to be removed. Couldn't believe that the house wasn't house wrapped by the builder. But if I bid as high as you guys up there in the windy city, I'd be looking for a new line of work. Just cost more for whatever you're pricing in a metro area vs. a rural area.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Those prices are for new construction BTW. Add $50 for wood tear off or $35 for vinyl/aluminum tear off. This is why I prefer to work directly for the customer. To be honest my pricing is inline for the other remodelers in my area so it's not like I am ripping people off... there's just alot more money in dealing direct with the customer when you know how to sell.

·
Registered
269 Posts
That's about the same I would add per sq for tear off of old siding per sq., but I wouldn't get a single call bidding new work like that in this area. Like I said you can't really compare prices out in the sticks with an urban area. I lived in the Chicago area for a short time in the late 80's, New Lenox which right at the edge of the metro area, if memory serves I was paying like $375 a month for a one bdrm apt plus utilities, here in today's market there's a 4 bdrm hs down the street for rent, $350 a month. It's really comparing apples to oranges, which is why whenever I post in reference to a price question I let folks know I'm going to be in the lower end of the totem pole.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This a rural area job. 70 miles west of the city. Homeowner is from the city, I have been out this way for about 4 yrs, Im originaly a farwest suburban guy.
They do things differantly out here. My first impression was they try to get away with things because of lack of codes. I dont normaly even work around here.
It was the low ball selling with little information, is what did the other bidder in. Not to mention I have a better product and installation is good to go.
The house wrap that was not offered, may be the way I get the siding from the carpenter. The manufacturers web site ( hardie ) says 'water barrier' under siding, Of which I mentioned to the homeowner.
Thanks both for your help.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I find that there is little difference in my competitor's quotes in the city or in the country.

In charlotte it is virtually the same thing. My apt. in the city is $550 per month and I could rent a 4 bedroom house in the sticks for that much. Yet the quotes of my competitors don't change much in either location.

I just sold a siding deal in the sticks where the soffit and facia were already done and in just 3000 sq ft of wall space the a competitor was asking for $24000. $800 per square for vinyl siding. And you guys thought I was high.

I also came across a job in the city where the guy had a quote for $129 per window.

But overall I have yet to see a difference in the price ranges between the 2 areas.

·
Registered
269 Posts
$800 a sq for vinyl???? :eek: Those guys aren't looking for customers, they're looking for marks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I used to install for Sears people were paying $1000.00 per sq vinyl! I now tell people to call Sears after I have bid a job, makes me seem very reasonable. Depending on area here I get $250 to $800 per square $7.50 a foot on facial/ soffit. I am in Ann Arbor.

2b2s

1 - 16 of 16 Posts