Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive heard nothing but good thing about this fairly new product and was wondering if it can be used for commercial work where fire rating comes into play.

I have researched and havnt been able to find any info on it with firecodes. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Are you just talking mesh tape? I work in commercial now and I've heard that it has to be paper taped to pass. That is just from other guys in the trade, no confirmed source to back it up. We use mesh for patches all the time, but new hangs and fire taping are always done with paper.

·
Drywall Slave
9,441 Posts
Are you just talking mesh tape? I work in commercial now and I've heard that it has to be paper taped to pass. That is just from other guys in the trade, no confirmed source to back it up. We use mesh for patches all the time, but new hangs and fire taping are always done with paper.
Fibafuse Is not Mesh.

Attachments

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Paper tape is the standard method. Why woud you want to use Fibafuse?

Just ask'n
From what I hear, Fibafuse lays flatter on butt joints. Doesnt bubble when there is dry spots behind tape, mud dries faster, better for patches, it is stronger than paper. A lot of guys swear by it so I figured I would give it a try.

·
Owner/Worker
31 Posts
Used it for the first time this week. It was a small remodel job and only used probably a quarter roll, applied with hot mud (20 min.). The cornrrs do seem to want to tear but I used a corner trowel and that pretty much took care of the problem. Of course time will tell but so far I like it.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Used it for the first time this week. It was a small remodel job and only used probably a quarter roll, applied with hot mud (20 min.). The cornrrs do seem to want to tear but I used a corner trowel and that pretty much took care of the problem. Of course time will tell but so far I like it.
a flusher works great and if you look at my mesh taper roller knife the blade is cut and sanded. if you do this to your 5 or 6'' knife it will help.it will also help you on your 3 ways. I would never use a corner trowel but some of you like them

Attachments

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
I've used FibaFuse for a couple of years. Mostly for patch work and repairs. On the larger jobs (50 sheets is about my max) I've used paper, old dog new tricks problem.

This weekend I'm going to run FF through my BTE Super Tapper with USG green lid. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm concerned about it stretching.

I use the BTE corner flushers, so for no problem with torn corners.

Tom
Tom

·
Registered
641 Posts
I've used FibaFuse for a couple of years. Mostly for patch work and repairs. On the larger jobs (50 sheets is about my max) I've used paper, old dog new tricks problem.

This weekend I'm going to run FF through my BTE Super Tapper with USG green lid. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm concerned about it stretching.

I use the BTE corner flushers, so for no problem with torn corners.

Tom
Tom
you are going to run FF through a BTE Super Tapper...cant wait to here about it...good luck! you might have to turn your mud into water to pull the ff so it don't rip. Also mud will dry faster on ff , so your going to have to go faster.I hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have used fibafuse and an automatic taper for about a year now. No problems with the flats or butt joints. I do use paper tape in the corners. When sanding, your sanding sponge can cut the fibafuse tape.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I have used fibafuse and an automatic taper for about a year now. No problems with the flats or butt joints. I do use paper tape in the corners. When sanding, your sanding sponge can cut the fibafuse tape.
I use ff in the inside corners. never have I sanded the ff and cut it?

·
Woodworker
60 Posts
It's great stuff. I've tried it once when they ran out of the paper in the local HD and haven't look back since. As other posters stated, it lies more flat, NO BUBBLES and good adhesion . Cost a little more but saves time.:thumbsup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts