Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for the festool fans (and not as much festool fans...)

I wanna be a fan. I have spent countless hours reading and researching the system. I feel like its worth it for what we do.
We are a small company, my dad owns the business, we currently have 4 employees, myself, my brother, my brother in law, and a good friend.
So this isn't a framing crew, or commercial use as far as the tools lasting.
We do most any type of residential construction and remodeling and work only off of referrals.

My problem is convincing my dad that these tools are worth several thousand dollars.
I thought I had a chance, till tonight... A friend of his who has a cabinet shop, does very high end trim jobs (doesn't even work in his shop all that much anymore)
had this to say about festool.
"They are really expensive, they are like the Mercedes of tools and you pay for them. Repairs cost a lot, everything about them is expensive."
The tough part is that he said "no one in the trades uses them, most people use dewalt. (What we use right now)"

Now, I'm not all wanting to jump to festool for all my cordless tools exactly, but the tools I would like are the TS-55, CT-26, OF1400 router, RAS, maybe the RO 90, one day the. Kapex, and I'm sure the list goes on...

For you who have them, have you had issues outside the 3 years that were costly? I assume the tools hold up well. Really, I'm just needing something to explain to my
Dad why they are good (or not good).
I just good tools that work well day in and day out.

Any advice, thoughts, or discussion would be awesome.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Question for the festool fans (and not as much festool fans...)

I wanna be a fan. I have spent countless hours reading and researching the system. I feel like its worth it for what we do.
We are a small company, my dad owns the business, we currently have 4 employees, myself, my brother, my brother in law, and a good friend.
So this isn't a framing crew, or commercial use as far as the tools lasting.
We do most any type of residential construction and remodeling and work only off of referrals.

My problem is convincing my dad that these tools are worth several thousand dollars.
I thought I had a chance, till tonight... A friend of his who has a cabinet shop, does very high end trim jobs (doesn't even work in his shop all that much anymore)
had this to say about festool.
"They are really expensive, they are like the Mercedes of tools and you pay for them. Repairs cost a lot, everything about them is expensive."
The tough part is that he said "no one in the trades uses them, most people use dewalt. (What we use right now)"

Now, I'm not all wanting to jump to festool for all my cordless tools exactly, but the tools I would like are the TS-55, CT-26, OF1400 router, RAS, maybe the RO 90, one day the. Kapex, and I'm sure the list goes on...

For you who have them, have you had issues outside the 3 years that were costly? I assume the tools hold up well. Really, I'm just needing something to explain to my
Dad why they are good (or not good).
I just good tools that work well day in and day out.

Any advice, thoughts, or discussion would be awesome.

I agree with you about the cordless stuff. not worth it unless i were doing cabinets more frequently. I've bought a lot of gear used thats well outside that period and its holding up great. I do baby this gear a little more but they still see minor falls, dust, and general jobsite crazyness. Clients notice and get excited about it too if you show them the dust collection.

If i were you I'd start a personal collection and skip trying to sell your dad. Once they are around and get used they sell themselves. I don't have my head far enough up the business end to know if they actually pay for themselves literally or just pleasure of using them.

·
Registered
13,401 Posts
The only tool I've needed repaired was a new CT.

I have purchased various parts for some of the tools that are out of warranty, the cost of the parts surprised me, in a good way. Here is a link to their electronic parts catalog. Look through it, compare some of the prices.

http://ekat.festool.com/EKAT/jsp/ma...Typ1=on&filterValues_F_Typ1=US&currencyKey=US

I agree with duburban, purchase what you can for yourself.

Tom

·
Banned
89 Posts
The cost to repair most tools is to throw them away and buy a new one. :)

Our tools are made not to be disposable.

Like Tom suggested, look through our online part catalog. I think you'll see that the prices for replacement parts is quite reasonable.

Buy one or two and give them a try under our 30-day money back guarantee. If you don't think they're worth the price or they don't meet your expectations, just return them within 30 days for a refund, less any shipping charges if you buy online for instance.

That way you can put them to the test for yourself.

Shane

·
Artist and not a curator
14,332 Posts
I had the same mindset for a long time of too expensive and not enough return.

Find a dealer close by that's willing to let you use a demo model of something, you'll change your mind real quick. Starting out this year I had no festool stuff, now I've got a green kool-aid mustache ear to ear.

·
Kowboy
2,469 Posts
I am a huge Festool fan. They are simply not comparable to other tools and companies.

I bought a DeWalt table saw that had plastic gears which promptly failed making moving the blade up and down near impossible. This kind of crap just doesn't happen with Festool.

My Rotex 150 finally died after 5 years or so. I sent it to Festool and had it back in a week completely rebuilt. The service is outstanding.

I'm just glad there is a company that makes serious tools for professionals. You can buy a new $19.95 "Sawzall" at Harbor Freight every day or buy a real one and play hell killin' it. I prefer the latter. To each his own.

·
Always Learning
8,722 Posts
I would have been in your shoes about 2-1/2 years ago. I finally convinced my partner to let us buy the ts55. The cut and versatility amazed both of us.

We bought a Trion jigsaw earlier this year. Nice jigsaw...it has visibility issues, but you just learn how it cuts.

I wanted a new sander and researched like mad for a month. Ended up with a ro125 and a midi vac. That thing rocks.

The Kapex is on my list soon...(my partner is still fighting that one)!

Just buy the track saw and get the longer rail with it. The first time you need to break down sheet goods or cut off a door or straight line rip lumber, you will wonder how you did it before.

As far as the cordless, I am not sold for what we do. The routers don't appeal to me either. Maybe the domino in the future.

The purchase price sting wears off very quickly!

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
I don't own any Festool tools. I have only used one tool and that was the Planex. So 2 tools counting the vac.

If they are as good as the tools I use now function wise, that would be fine. I am sick of dust and that is the number one reason I want to start a Festool collection. Anything extra they bring to the table would be a bonus.

·
Always Learning
8,722 Posts
CrpntrFrk said:
I don't own any Festool tools. I have only used one tool and that was the Planex. So 2 tools counting the vac.

If they are as good as the tools I use now function wise, that would be fine. I am sick of dust and that is the number one reason I want to start a Festool collection. Anything extra they bring to the table would be a bonus.
That's the one thing I didn't think I would care about when I purchased the ts. Now it's so nice to not have dust, I hook my midi up to our biscuit jointer and anything else with a dust port.

·
Artist and not a curator
14,332 Posts

Like durability, service, performance. They are what they claim to be.

A Cadillac is a luxury car.

A Mybach is beyond luxury.

Festool is a Mybach, Makita is a Cadillac.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
The only thing that is holding me back is I know they guys will destroy them. It's twice as easy to get over them dropping a $600 dewalt 717 as them dropping a $1300 kapex. If I worked out of a shop a lot more I would have a set up. Maybe some day, just not today or tomorrow. But I've spent countless house reading up on them.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
So sensitive... :no:

Heading to Indy next week and will be around. Swing by if you're in the vicinity.

You guys that think our tools are too fragile. Talk to Darcy. He pound nails with his sander. :p
I'm not saying they are more fragile then any other tool, I'm just saying I don't want to cry on a job site when someone smashes something. I'll have them someday, but when I do I won't have a crew.

·
Artist and not a curator
14,332 Posts
They do look flimsy at best. I beat the hell out of tools, sometimes literally. I will vouch for some tools getting lightly tossed after cutting some waterfall bubinga upside down:censored:

I'm out only some veneer, tools were fine... Pride not so much.

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
shofestoolusa said:
The cost to repair most tools is to throw them away and buy a new one. :)

Our tools are made not to be disposable.

Like Tom suggested, look through our online part catalog. I think you'll see that the prices for replacement parts is quite reasonable.

Buy one or two and give them a try under our 30-day money back guarantee. If you don't think they're worth the price or they don't meet your expectations, just return them within 30 days for a refund, less any shipping charges if you buy online for instance.

That way you can put them to the test for yourself.

Shane
When you say most tools, you are referring to most other tools I assume?

We have the 6 gallon hitachi compressor, a new belt for it was $40. The compressor was only like $100 or something. Then a small seal got damaged while replacing the belt... Anyways. So yeah, I see what you mean about cost of repairs.

We've only been in business for 5 years though, and had very few tools in for repair, as you said, we just throw them away, so throwing away festool doesn't sound fun. :) I'm hoping to at least show him the whole system and talk to him about it and at least get him to try the TS55. If he likes it maybe we will be purchasing more.

IMO, it sure seems like you guys make great tools (even though I haven't ever used one)
I really hope we will be using them soon...

Funny story though, I saw a Kapax on display at a local supplier about 4 years ago and I remember thinking, "that saw looks weird, and holy crap it's pricey"
I've learned a little since. :)

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Kowboy said:
I am a huge Festool fan. They are simply not comparable to other tools and companies.

I bought a DeWalt table saw that had plastic gears which promptly failed making moving the blade up and down near impossible. This kind of crap just doesn't happen with Festool.

My Rotex 150 finally died after 5 years or so. I sent it to Festool and had it back in a week completely rebuilt. The service is outstanding.

I'm just glad there is a company that makes serious tools for professionals. You can buy a new $19.95 "Sawzall" at Harbor Freight every day or buy a real one and play hell killin' it. I prefer the latter. To each his own.
What kind of price for a total rebuild? I assume worth it as opposed to a new tool? That's one part dad is stuck on is the cost... Lol.
I don't pay the bills so I guess it's easier for name to suggest a $600 saw. :)

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks guys for all the comments. You really are a helpful bunch of guys. I hope to hang around for a while, learn more, and maybe
even contribute one day.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts