Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No one has this saw, except 2 on eBay for $2k each. Does anyone make a track saw that's as powerful? I've had my 55 for a LONG time, but my one complaint would be that for straight edging hardwood, I wish it had more power. Decided to try to find a 75 and it looks like they're no longer available. I'd still keep my 55 for the smaller projects, but for straight edging hardwood I want more power.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'd consider the Mafell 55, it's almost as powerful as the TS75. I think it will fit the festool track, but the blade sits outside of the track a ways if you use the Festool track with it. Don't want to buy Mafell tracks because by the time I get 12' of Mafell tracks plus that saw, I might as well purchase the 75 on eBay for $2k.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
51,688 Posts
Nope, just out of stock.

Everywhere.

·
Registered
12,333 Posts
Just buy the Milwaukie one. Oh, yeah... never mind.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That Mafell 55 rocks. So do the tracks.

Mike.
___
Do you own the Mafell? And if so... have you used the Festool 55? How's the Mafell compare?

I still love the Festool 55, for breaking down sheet stock and smaller things it's fantastic. But the Festool TS 55 just barely works for straight edging 4/4 rough sawn hardwood. For 8/4 it can do it, but really shouldn't. Hoping the Mafell has bigger kahoonies than the Festool. Crappy part is if I go the Mafell route I'll have more tracks to deal with.

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,230 Posts
Mafell is more powerful. Yes I've owned the Festool and gave it away. Just didn't have the balls we needed to power through composite decking.

I've also owned the Makita and gave that to my brother.

Mike.
___

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,230 Posts
Do you own the Mafell? And if so... have you used the Festool 55? How's the Mafell compare?

I still love the Festool 55, for breaking down sheet stock and smaller things it's fantastic. But the Festool TS 55 just barely works for straight edging 4/4 rough sawn hardwood. For 8/4 it can do it, but really shouldn't. Hoping the Mafell has bigger kahoonies than the Festool. Crappy part is if I go the Mafell route I'll have more tracks to deal with.
Imo the tracks are the icing on the cake. No longer need to haul a 118" track around due to the ease of connecting them.

I've got 3 - 55" 1 - 42" and one 32".

They are metric sizes so the inches is approximate.

Mike.
___

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,230 Posts
Just an FYI about the Mafell. There's no riving knife and it doesn't hug a wall as tight as the Festool.

Mike.
___

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I talked to Woodcraft and their Festool rep said no release date in site. They're out of the 55 and the 75 and no release date for either one.

Maybe trying to get manufacturing back in the US was actually a good idea 🤔.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i was told by my rep the 75 is not being made at the moment while the lines are retooled for the new cordless line. My guess is they are trying to build up inventory for the cordless line since demand will be strong. The 75 line should be back in production by the end of the year.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Maynot bother you but the 75 is much bigger then then the 55 . I find it a bit more cumbersome to use over the 55 . As i point this out I will note cords are a pain in the a###s .unless the cord is in a sleeve or connected to the hose you have 2 things to grab ,two things to watch as you cut . the 75 being more challenging to use makes the cord issue a bigger deal.
though bummed mafell lacks a riving knife . i have had my lumber pinch several times and even festool saw with the riving knife wants to jump up a bit off the track .
i wonder if the mafell lacking the riving knife would be acceptable .just the same i would love to try a mafell saw out . it will be cordless though .

1 - 19 of 19 Posts