Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
pro
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
debating picking up a sander/vac combo.

i'm looking for one that is "light" enough to sand skimmed walls. one that won't take too much off and can replicate a light hand sand.

i'm also looking for one to rough up enamel overspray when painters run it 6" up the wall when spraying trim. is there a model that has a guide or something that gets me close to the trim without risk of gouging it?

i like the idea of the aggressive mode of the rotex for other stuff. are they too much or do i need one of the finish sanders?

·
Always Learning
8,747 Posts
I have the Rotex 125 and it is a nice machine. I have used it to sand drywall patches in fine mode, but i wouldn't do that for a large area. It has a learning curve to operate it that I was told about but didn't believe until I used it for a while. It isn't light for prolonged overhead use. The ets 125 sounds like it might suit your needs better. I am sure other will offer more advise.

·
Registered
13,590 Posts
The ETS, DTS or RTS line of sanders are much easier to handle than the RO line for what you're looking to do. I find the shape of the smaller sanders better for drywall patch sanding. With the proper paper they will work well for scuffing the enamel with the Granat line of paper, I use the Brilliant 2 for drywall patches. Not taking anything away from the RO line, I just don't find the shape works well for me on vertical surfaces that I need to fineness. For larger areas I do own the Planex.

Tom

·
pro
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i went and looked at them at two different stores. i think either the dts or the ets 125 would work great, but i really liked the rotex 90, especially with the edge protector and the delta head. the aggressive mode is another plus. maybe the 90 would be easier to use than the 125 on walls?

i can see the dts and the ets being a little easier to maneuver, as tjbnwi mentioned.

both stores seemed to think getting the majority of the drywall dust contained would be a problem, one guy putting it at 80%. anyone have any problems with drywall dust? this was with the mini vac.
i have a hepa for my shop vac which does an excellent job, so this was a little surprising. that's the main reason i'm contemplating this, no dust in my drops, running plastic, clean-up, etc.

decisions-decisions.

·
Banned
89 Posts
Not to discredit the person you spoke to, but you really should see virtually all of the drywall dust collected with our sanders. I suspect his 80% was a guesstimate having not used one himself.

I personally prefer the DTS for drywall work because it is very lightweight and the delta-shaped pad let's you get into corners easily.

Regardless of whether you get the DTS/RTS/ETS, be sure to turn your CT almost all the way down to prevent so much suction that it pulls the sanders into the wall. It should float when you have the CT suction set properly. For that reason, I would not recommend using a shop vac without variable suction.

The Rotex sanders are fantastic, however I think you would find the 125/150 bulky for drywall work, especially if used overhead for extended periods. The RO 90 is a sweet sander but it's got a relatively small pad. So, it's going to be harder to feather out the seams and it will take more time to cover the same sqft.

You have a 30-day money back guarantee, so get the one you think will work best. If you don't like it or it doesn't live up to the hype or your expectations, just exchange it for another model or get a refund. No harm, no foul.

Shane

·
Registered
13,590 Posts
I sand a lot of drywall, the 80% is way off, even on the worst surface.

The newer model CT's all have the same power unit, it is the tub size that changes.

The shape of the Rotex series is not the best for the work you want to do.

Get the DTS or RTS, to use for the trial period. Just make sure you have some work to try it on. The reason I recommend these two is they will get into corners and run along edges. You should get the package with a CT, I love my Mini, most prefer the Midi (I have other larger CT's when the need arises).

As Shane said, you have 30 days to try it. A few things on that---any accessories are not covered under the policy, if you order from an out of area dealer you have to pay the shipping back. To the best of my knowledge the tools must go back to the selling dealer.

150 Brilliant 2 is a good start for the compound, if you're a good tapper go with 180 or 220. For the enamel, 120 Granat.

You will need to play with the suction on the CT, start at the lowest setting adjust from there. I've never had to go above 3. For lightweight compounds I find speed 4 on my DTS to be a good setting, for setting compounds 6 is the way to go.

Call Tom at Tool Home (512-428-9140), he'll get the items to you in a couple of days.

(You won't be returning the tools)

Tom

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.