Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I currently have the little bosch colt trim router I use for little stuff. I can't trust it anymore. It was great for a long time, but now I am getting the base creep whenever it feels like it.

Anyway I was looking to maybe replace it with the mfk 700. I was curious about the visibility on the festool? What do you guys think?

It looks like you can't see a thing around the bit when using it. I'm gonna check the local places and see if anyone around here has one in stock I can check out.

I guess I should add, I think my choice will either be the festool, or the Makita compact router kit. The nice thing about the Makita is it comes with a bunch of accessories and also has the vac hook ups for dust control.

Dave

·
Registered
917 Posts
No opinion on the festool but I've been using the makita compact a lot at work the last few days and it's pretty nice.

You should check out the small ridgid compact. Price is good, micro adjust is wonderful and it has a light that actually helps you see the piece.

·
Banned
89 Posts
Dave,

I'll leave the feedback to other forum members, since I would probably be biased. But, I wanted to just mention that all of our tools have a 30-day money back guarantee. So, you can get one, try it out for yourself and if it doesn't meet your expectations you can return it for a refund, less shipping if applicable. At worst, you use a great trim router for free for up to 30 days...

Here's a video review that one of our customers did that may help in your decision.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a--v9tdusM

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uxxzw5Xb3k

and one from Marc Spagnuolo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB9WhNdgP0k

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me via PM or email.

Thanks.

Shane Holland
Festool USA
[email protected]

·
Registered
62 Posts
I can recommend the dewalt DWP611PK. I have had it for two years now. I has lots of power a good view of the bit. LED lights which are really nice. Adjustment of the base is solid with a quick release for changing the bit. Also comes with a plunge base. I would say it is worth a look anyway.

That said everything Festool I own has been great. Don't fall for the 30 day return though if you have it for 30 days and use it you will keep it and probably buy something else green and black very soon.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys for the input, I guess what I'm gonna have to do is see who has the festool in stock and actually see how it feels and if I could get used to the visibility.

I do really like that Makita though, but I've been getting more and more into using my vac all the time, so I wasn't sure how another router would be for dust control.

This may be an expensive month, I may need to visit the tba thread:laughing:

My porter cable RO sander bit the dust so I picked up the ETS-125 last week, then while I was there I decided to pick up another 55" track.

Dave

·
Artist and not a curator
12,907 Posts
The question isn't if the festool router is worth it. The question is if the festool router is worth that much more than any other.

I've got the colt and I think she's getting ready to go as well, I think I'm leaning green... Just like everything else, you'll put the damn thing in your hands and you'll pull a couple extra bucks out of your wallet.

·
Registered
506 Posts
What are your intended uses? Maybe you should consider the of1010. Pair it up with a edge guide and the lr32 setup and you have one very versatile router. I also noticed the mfk is listed as coming in a cardboard box not a systainer which I find odd. If you buy the set it would come with one though.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What are your intended uses? Maybe you should consider the of1010. Pair it up with a edge guide and the lr32 setup and you have one very versatile router. I also noticed the mfk is listed as coming in a cardboard box not a systainer which I find odd. If you buy the set it would come with one though.

Hmm I didn't realize the 1010 was a pretty compact router as well. I mostly just round over or throw small profile on with my colt, but occasionally I've run some bigger bits through it.

That was on of the things I was bummed about that the 700 dosent work with the rails.

I tried searching before I posted this topic, but my search feature is broken. I just found a thread on here though comparing the 700 and 1010. I'm gonna read up:laughing:

Dave

1 - 12 of 12 Posts