Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

4341 - 4360 of 7344 Posts

·
GC/carpenter
40,495 Posts
I only ever tried it as a impact and although it was not silly powerful it had no problem sinking 6" screws into hardwood. They gave a body only for sale at my wood craft reduced. If I owned a drill I would by that thing just to have it in a set.
Where does a person get 6" screws and what do you use them for?

Are you taking about fastenmaster screws?

·
Registered
16,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,343

I have no idea. I have never used 6" screws. I had a quick demo of the impact in the store with some screws they had there. I have used many 10" timberlok in my makita though which puts them in easy. I think the festool would have no problem with that too. Never dried the drill part of it though.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
It appears to me that the OF1400 is the correct choice (among Festool's offerings) for a basic cabinet-making router. Right now mostly dadoing; routing profiles if I can't avoid it. I have the tracks and the dust collection. Are there any of the accessories that are must-have?
Thanks all for the advice on the 1400. I bought it, with the track guide and one edge guide, and have gotten it right to work. It's much better, ergonomically, than the Makita it's replacing.

·
Registered
190 Posts
We can get 6" regular deck screws at our local hardware store, or all size GRKs at our local mill. I have found that once you go longer than about 8" they go in a lot better with a drill. Once you get long enough the impact just won't touch them. We use GRKs for timber connections and regular 6" just if you need to fasten though something thick. Tough to explain but handy to have.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts

I carry 6" and longer . seem to use them often . I buy a cheaper [rough 3-4$ /lb ] phillips with a so called exterior coating .But more and more just buying better grade exterior star drive ones .http://www.screwsolutions.com/ . a favorite source for me .Stating to use there 1/4" lags a lot also .
really uses up batteries ,used to show up in the days of nicads .but not so much with the newer brushless .
they come in handy for repairs . but also on the arbor/trelus projects .for securing braces for instance .i can secure the top layer of 2x4 with a screw through the top instead of ugly toenails

Attachments

·
GC/carpenter
40,495 Posts
I carry 6" and longer . seem to use them often . I buy a cheaper [rough 3-4$ /lb ] phillips with a so called exterior coating .But more and more just buying better grade exterior star drive ones .http://www.screwsolutions.com/ . a favorite source for me .Stating to use there 1/4" lags a lot also .
really uses up batteries ,used to show up in the days of nicads .but not so much with the newer brushless .
they come in handy for repairs . but also on the arbor/trelus projects .for securing braces for instance .i can secure the top layer of 2x4 with a screw through the top instead of ugly toenails
The only time I use a 6" fastener is either FastenMaster, a lag or a bolt.

·
Contractor
4,642 Posts
local hardware (chain) store, McCoy's, sells in bulk quantities fasteners similar to GRK's from 6"-10" long. I've used them for building outdoor areas out of 6x6 cedar.

·
all else fails dynamite
338 Posts
well the light came in handy tonite working on the trailer, I took BC s idea for the mft 3 and got the hooks to put that on the wall in work trailer. table is tucked in nice. Second I took the ti 15 and exchanged it for cxs so nice. picking up 1400 tmrw and track saw cant wait,:thumbup::clap:

·
Registered
279 Posts
The csx drill is sweet, but I wish it had a little more power and bigger chuck, then I would almost never need anything else. I know I am dreaming

·
all else fails dynamite
338 Posts
Had a fellow tradesman ask me today about my mft3 table today, handed him a catalog and he said hmm kinda pricey my reply work smarter and thats priceless if there is better way why would you not invest in your trade. he saw my systainers and how it stacks and rolls and he said wow modular just the tools you need for task at hand. I think his wife is gonna call me and give me a stern talking to when she sees the bill lol:eek:

·
Artist and not a curator
10,097 Posts
Just saw the battery tracksaw today. Wow.

I thought it was completely pointless at first because you really always have the dust collector with it. Hooked the bag just to see and give a rep a hard time... I'll be damned if the thing didnt collect just about the same amount of dust. Also saw the contouro in action. I don't do panel processing so not really my bag but was never impressed with the portable edge banders. My machinery guy called and said, "I know you don't really care about banding but you gotta see this thing... all I can say is, its festool".

The performance on radius work was impressive, now if I can find a job for it.

·
Registered
11,915 Posts
I'm having a hard time resisting the Conturo...... Next large cab job will be the tipping point.

I pre-ordered the TSC 55 on the day it was introduced here.

Tom

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts
Well, just bought my 3rd 55" rail, Betterley SLC23 StraightLine Connector for Festool Guide Rails, and quick grips. Plus 3 rolls of track edge.

Went originally to order the 106" rail, but found the straighline connector will let me put 2 together perfectly straight. Then bought 3rd rail so I can do under 4' cuts and not seperate the rails. Plus that longer rail would have been a pain to store, I already had the spot for my current 2 rails and easy just adding a third as there is room.

And thanks guys for the heads up on the better adhesive strips, I ordered 3 rolls of the Makita edge tape. I will just replace all 3 because the ends coming loose pisses me off!

I'll post photos when they come in.

4341 - 4360 of 7344 Posts