Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

2961 - 2980 of 7344 Posts

·
I like Green things
22,955 Posts
The one for the supercut fits on the vecturo. Maybe they decided to not spend a bunch of money changing the colors on it.

A OT does not fill the air up with drywall dust. I have cut plenty and it just falls to the floor. It makes less mess then a key hole saw.

I had someone borrow my MM a few years ago and never return it. This a nice tool for someone looking to upgrade or replace an old tool.

Everyone doesn't always need everything, well apparently there are some that just want everything even when they have no use for it.

·
Registered
16,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,962
The one for the supercut fits on the vecturo. Maybe they decided to not spend a bunch of money changing the colors on it.

A OT does not fill the air up with drywall dust. I have cut plenty and it just falls to the floor. It makes less mess then a key hole saw.

I had someone borrow my MM a few years ago and never return it. This a nice tool for someone looking to upgrade or replace an old tool.

Everyone doesn't always need everything, well apparently there are some that just want everything even when they have no use for it.
Yeah it makes no more mess than a drywall saw but thats the problem its still a lot of mess in a finished home. If i cut with my vac on i can cut with almost zero dust next to a TV or AMP and not have a spec on the finish where as without it im kicking dust all around me about 4ft out each side when doing a cut at about counter height. No dust would be better than a little dust. I got a feeling my MM gonna outlast me though so i may never own one. I do like the plunge base but cant think of one situation where i would have ever had the need for it. hopefully it don't end the same way as the Impact.

·
Always Learning
8,473 Posts
There are some pictures in the wild showing the plunge base will fit the new 350 MM too.

·
Board Shortener
235 Posts
Anyone with a Kapex ever encounter the miter detents being way off? Was able to give the new Kpaex a workout last week and right off the bat found that my 45's were way off. Tried to adjust them myself, took a couple hours and I got them pretty close (good enough to finish what I was working on), but spoke to Festool and decided to send it back to them for recalibration. Just couldn't seem to get the 45's to perfect, no matter how I oriented/tweaked the miter plate. Here's a couple pics of how far they were off out the box (I aligned the laser with the blade edge). Granted I'm using a little Swanson square and not a machinists straight edge, but you get the idea.

I will say Festool customer service and Bob Marino were quick with the help, and hopefully the tool comes back to me perfect. I really like this saw. The cuts are beautiful even with the factory blade, and the dust collection gives me the ability to set it up in the kitchen/room where I'm working. Saw is always 10 steps away, which saves me tons of time over the course of a day. Not to mention, it's cold out here right now, so staying indoors is a huge plus! :thumbup:

·
Registered
16,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,967
Anyone with a Kapex ever encounter the miter detents being way off? Was able to give the new Kpaex a workout last week and right off the bat found that my 45's were way off. Tried to adjust them myself, took a couple hours and I got them pretty close (good enough to finish what I was working on), but spoke to Festool and decided to send it back to them for recalibration. Just couldn't seem to get the 45's to perfect, no matter how I oriented/tweaked the miter plate. Here's a couple pics of how far they were off out the box (I aligned the laser with the blade edge). Granted I'm using a little Swanson square and not a machinists straight edge, but you get the idea.

I will say Festool customer service and Bob Marino were quick with the help, and hopefully the tool comes back to me perfect. I really like this saw. The cuts are beautiful even with the factory blade, and the dust collection gives me the ability to set it up in the kitchen/room where I'm working. Saw is always 10 steps away, which saves me tons of time over the course of a day. Not to mention, it's cold out here right now, so staying indoors is a huge plus! :thumbup:

Prob not the best square to use for testing a 45. The few i have had were not at all accurate. It does look like its off though even with that square.

·
Board Shortener
235 Posts
Prob not the best square to use for testing a 45. The few i have had were not at all accurate. It does look like its off though even with that square.
Yeah, not a great square, that's mostly the reason for sending it back to have them align it. The left 45 was a blade width off in the depth of the table, right was about 1/2 blade. Didn't need the square to tell me though, my first few returns on the cabinet trim were out of square 1/8" heavy in 14". Ended up just using the miter finder and locking in the angles manually for each cut to finish the job. I wouldn't expect that lack of precision from a DeWalt, let alone the $1400 king of saws! Those basic settings should be spot on right out of the box!

·
Board Shortener
235 Posts
Got some shopping done at the local dealer today. Mainly some new blades and CT stuff. They had an open house and workshop with some local reps and the vecturo. Not bad, but can't see dropping the coin on one. Does pretty much what my Bosch oscillator does, but with fancy attachments. Seemed excessively loud as well, but they all are. Screw the dust collection, if they can make an oscillator as quiet as a CT, I'm in!

And here's a pic of the jig I whipped up the other day so I can cut cabinet fillers with the TS. Also added an additional sticky strip to the track about an inch off the splinter guard.

·
Always Learning
8,473 Posts
Yeah it makes no more mess than a drywall saw but thats the problem its still a lot of mess in a finished home. If i cut with my vac on i can cut with almost zero dust next to a TV or AMP and not have a spec on the finish where as without it im kicking dust all around me about 4ft out each side when doing a cut at about counter height. No dust would be better than a little dust. I got a feeling my MM gonna outlast me though so i may never own one. I do like the plunge base but cant think of one situation where i would have ever had the need for it. hopefully it don't end the same way as the Impact.
There is a dust collection attachment for the MM. I think it is just for sanding though. Bosch has one for their corded OMT too.

·
Registered
11,926 Posts

To adjust the Kapex for square to the fence you move the miter scale, left or right. To adjust the 45º you move the scale towards the base or away from the base. From the looks of yours they will move the scale out about 0.03125". By moving the scale out it will allow the table to travel farther before the detent stops it.

Took me about an hour to set the first Kapex I did. The last one was 5 minutes, maybe.

Tom

·
Board Shortener
235 Posts
To adjust the Kapex for square to the fence you move the miter scale, left or right. To adjust the 45º you move the scale towards the base or away from the base. From the looks of yours they will move the scale out about 0.03125". By moving the scale out it will allow the table to travel farther before the detent stops it.

Took me about an hour to set the first Kapex I did. The last one was 5 minutes, maybe.

Tom
.03125"???? :eek: which tick mark is that on my tape measure? :laughing: I thought the price of the saw was all inclusive, didn't realize I also had to spend hundreds on machinists tools to set it up!

That's how I got it close, but the process was making me nuts. Is there a certain order of ops? I was setting zero, locking that screw, then going left and right to adjust the 45 by moving the fence in or out on each side. Trouble was, if I didn't lock the zero where it needed to be (in/out), then I could only get one side set. Once two screws are locked down, I was just left with whatever the other side was. If it was off, then start over. If I left the screws slightly loose, i was afraid of moving the scale when moving the carriage left or right. Since the saw is only a week old, I felt this was not something I should have to spend my weekend doing....

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Hey....just got the bosch jigsaw

http://www.cpooutlets.com/bosch-js5...l,default,pd.html?start=3&cgid=bosch-jig-saws

The boot hose connector works with 36m hose so no more carrying the 27 or both or the $50 connector from Bob Marino which is excellent btw but again it's one more thing you have to jam somewhere.

it's one or the other. Haven't had time to follow through but feel free browse.
Vacuum Hose Adapter - VAC024
Suction Nozzle - 2605730061

the jig saw is quit impressive. Cut a bunch of arches with 2x cedar for pergola. perfect 90 w/5" blades. It has 2-control wheels where the festi has 3. I might actually send it back for the carvex those dam accessories are the crack selling point of Festi...For another $70.bucks you get the b festi base model. The bosch is nicely package but if I keep it I'll sell off the lbox.

I have to say it again that ac36 is just amazing. The dc hooked up to the kapex is over and above what it was with the my midi. Even with the full 11ft hose. I still have not time to place side x side and swap out the hep for non. It brings to the upper 90's % in dc.

:thumbsup:

·
Banned
3,075 Posts
I just cleaned my 26 bag out tonight using my dust collector.

Maybe 45 seconds......no dust......saved a bag.

I feel like a genius.

·
Business Owner
242 Posts
I just cleaned my 26 bag out tonight using my dust collector.

Maybe 45 seconds......no dust......saved a bag.

I feel like a genius.
Cut the end of your bag dump the dust out, roll a 1/2" dowel up in it, Slide a slit piece of PVC over it to clamp it. Bang! you just made yourself a reusable bag, when the time comes toss it and reuse the PVC and Dowel on a new bag.

·
Banned
3,075 Posts
Cut the end of your bag dump the dust out, roll a 1/2" dowel up in it, Slide a slit piece of PVC over it to clamp it. Bang! you just made yourself a reusable bag, when the time comes toss it and reuse the PVC and Dowel on a new bag.
I've been wanting to do that.
Or the clips like someone mentioned here.

I duct taped a Midi bag once......with excellent results.

Now that I know the dust collector is so easy........those days are well past.

I might even be cheap enough to do it when I'm on site. Bring them back to the shop just to save the however many bucks.

·
Business Owner
242 Posts
I've been wanting to do that.
Or the clips like someone mentioned here.

I duct taped a Midi bag once......with excellent results.

Now that I know the dust collector is so easy........those days are well past.

I might even be cheap enough to do it when I'm on site. Bring them back to the shop just to save the however many bucks.
Cant blame you! I have three Festool Vacs and the cost of those bags adds up quick!

2961 - 2980 of 7344 Posts