Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! Brand new member, long time reader.

I've been looking at Festool tools for a long time, and like them a lot, especially the dust collecting features.

I've got a nice complement of "regular" tools, (Bosch, Makita, DeWalt, and so on) so I don't really need to buy anything new (except for that nice tracksaw :))

My question is this: Has anyone had success with adding store bought or DIY dust collection to their tools? I'm thinking the router and the miter saw in particular. The tablesaw's hookup works pretty well as is. I work almost exclusively on site, so portable is good!

Ben

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
BenSki said:
Hey everyone! Brand new member, long time reader. I've been looking at Festool tools for a long time, and like them a lot, especially the dust collecting features. I've got a nice complement of "regular" tools, (Bosch, Makita, DeWalt, and so on) so I don't really need to buy anything new (except for that nice tracksaw :)) My question is this: Has anyone had success with adding store bought or DIY dust collection to their tools? I'm thinking the router and the miter saw in particular. The tablesaw's hookup works pretty well as is. I work almost exclusively on site, so portable is good! Ben
I haven't other than my table saw. Got a festool midi for Christmas and it work much better than any DIY setup. Just my experience.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Lets see if I understand your question. you want to use the tools that you already own and apply dust collection principles to them to achieve results similar to the Festool system in regards to dust collection.

The simple answer is not really.
first if you already have tools that have dust ports you may want to consider a Vacuum that has more flow. you will want something that flows better than Festool vacs in order to scavenge dust from tools that do not have dust collection as a primary goal. I would look at the Onida Dust Cobra or the Pulse Bac, these are running at 200+cfm vs the around 100 for the Festool/ Fein/ Nilfisk. Of course the $$$ are more too but the extra flow is your best shot.

Reactions: BenSki

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
That Onida Dust Cobra looks a little overkill for a miter saw or router, that's made for sucking in buckets of dust from floor sanders. Just spend your money on a brand new Festool miter saw, router, and vac. You're a pro aren't you? If you're going to buy a tool you got to get the best one.

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
This is one set up I've used for dust collection on the miter saw. This stand has room for a vacuum and scrap bucket inside. The owner had a Willy's classic Jeep there that I did not want to shoot dust into.

The combination of the tool activated vacuum and the Chop Shop hood works quite well, even with that Delta. It is a real dust maker without the hood and vac.

Attachments

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
All these alternatives, make for a whole lot of extra crap to drag around and set up.
It all depends on the job, what tooling and set ups make sense.

I usually travel pretty light, myself. That big saw just comes to the site a few times a year, for big moldings you can't cut in position with a Kapex or any other saw.

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
A vacuum is a vacuum. But a hose is so much more.

I use the twenty foot 36mm festi hose. It works on a floor edger or a dewalt palm sander seemlessly. I can set up in the middle of mist houses and vac every room with little movement of the vac.

The vac also has a parts tray on top. Seems small but its huge. There are some things that are always in the caddy from job to job.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts