Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have many Festool products and at first thought they were a little over priced. That was until I actually started using them. The dust collection alone made them worth it.
I currently own the TS55 with 3 different rail sizes, OF 1400 with the LR32 System, ETS 125 and ETS 150/3, RO90, CTS 26, and many systainers.
My question is on the Domino 500. I've read many threads on them both here and on F.O.G but haven't really heard about it being used for more than furniture or alignment for tops. For those of you that use it in the field or shop does it really make a difference over a biscuit joiner?
I do alot of custom cabinets, entertainment centers and trim work and have used my biscuit joiner for trim and face plates along with pocket screws and dowels depending on what I think is needed.
Any examples would be appreciated. The cost isn't an issue but unless its a game changer I would stick to what I'm doing.
Actually I'm looking for a reason to tell the wife It's worth it to purchase a tool of that cost. I'm a tool addict but still I never buy anything unless it makes me money.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I'm in the same situation as you. I would love to own one, but for the price, I really need to justify it. If I was doing as much millwork and furniture as I used to, I'm sure it would be worth it, but for field carpentry not sure how much I would use it. I'm also a bit shocked by the price of the dominos as well. I can think of places I could use it, but I don't think it would be much of a time saver or add anything over what I do now.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I highly recomend that the next project you have ready. Buy one use it on the project with full confidence that if it is not worth the money take it back under the 30 day no question return. It is one of those tools that once you get your hands on it, and understand its ways, it will start solving problem tasks for you.

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
I have never used the domino but dust collection is on my need list lately. I mentioned in other threads I am getting into Festool for this reason.

The Domino looks like it would save some time with the measuring studs (IDK what they are really called) on the front of the machine. No more measure and mark, for the most part. They will space you out from the edge then from each domino slot to the next.

Interested what users have to say also.

·
Registered
13,379 Posts
I've used the Domino since it was introduced. Mine is the original pin model. It's one of those tools where its uses can't be explained. I don't think there is anything that can be done with a Domino that I have not done already (and a few things that shouldn't be done).

It is so precise it can be frustrating while your getting used to the unit. I was in a Festool class and another brought their Domino, said it would not align pieces. I used it, no issues, the service department checked it, no problems with the machine. The owner did end up selling it, he just couldn't get it to work right.

I do have a few Domino videos on my YouTube channel----MrTjbnwi.

Tom

·
Registered
635 Posts
Domino is an amazing tool. So many different uses for it. I used it today building cope/stick cabinet doors. Makes a stronger joint and I think it made the assembly a little easier.

·
Artist and not a curator
14,306 Posts
Here's the way I explain it but certainly does not fully explain it. Think of a biscuit joiner and all of its uses and benefits, then think of a doweling system and all of its benefits, now think of what you can do if you could do both at the same time. It doesn't only replace two tools but becomes a third in doing the functions of two.

It is my favorite tool. It is the most versatile, accurate portable joining system I have ever used.

Hell, just the other day my parents have a carved fir duck and the head broke off, I just wanted to see if I could accurately put it back with a 5 mil domino, two round surfaces on uneven joint (the break), with too little space to get any accurate measurements except centers... 5 minutes it was flawless, that tool is a game changer for sure. Could have used a dowel but would have had to make the hole wider on one side to make sure the break aligned back up and then pin nail in place.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies so far. I knew about festool 30 day policy but so far on all their tools I've purchased I've never had to use it.
I have thought about it for the Domino but I don't feel right using a tool even, if It's a company policy, knowing after I returned it they would have to sell it at a discount.
I may just have to go to my supplier and try it out or wait for the next class they offer if it's in the near future. I've seen some amazing ways it's been used for furniture. And if it would speed up my cabinet boxes on site I wouldnt hesitate to use it, if it can replace two tools I already use.
My next project is a large wrap around book shelf for a clients office. If it would cut down my time significantly I will go ahead and buy it.

·
Registered
13,379 Posts
I like to assemble my cabinets with the box even with the inside edge of the face frame. It makes it easier to install hardware, with all the rollouts, it's a no brainer. The Domino will align the parts every time. I'll build a full width face frame and join it to the set boxes, no seems in the frame. Haven't missed-------------yet.

Festool will not loose if you return one of their tools under the 30 day policy. About once a year they have a sale of various tools that have been returned or used in the classes.

Tom

·
Banned
89 Posts
The 30 day return policy is there so that you CAN use it in your own shop or environment to see if it's the right tool for you. And, for those who are on the fence, to let them see if the tools lives up to the hype. So, please do get it and try it for yourself. The best "review" is your own. If you decide to return it, it's not an issue. We want our customers to be completely satisfied with the tools.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to contact me.

In addition to Tom's videos, we have a playlist on our YouTube channel that's worth a watch even if you have a Domino. Lot's of good content from Domino users.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLJaioykay4&list=PL7953856D6EE12F44

And, a blog post entitled The Ultimate Domino Guide that's worth a look.

http://blog.festoolusa.com/post/2012/06/28/The-Ultimate-Festool-Domino-Guide.aspx

Hope that helps!

Shane Holland
Festool
[email protected]

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the reply Shane. I have a job coming up so I'll just take the plunge and try it. I have a friend who recently purchased one and he let me use it. It's an impressive tool and I'll be able to tell in a few weeks how well it will work for me.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I use mine to install base trim. We use 5" stain grade 3/4" base, with an eased edge. Instead of cutting scarf joints, we square cut two pieces and domino them together, sand to 180, then stain. Even 35' runs appear positively seamless. Unreal.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts