Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a question for any of you out there that have experience with ferro cement. We have a supermarket which is pier and post construction over land fill. The store is at least 45-50 years old. there is some delaminating of the floor tiles, ( most likely asbestos-9"), and warping due to moisture.A contracter suggested to me to use ferro cement over the tiles, encapsulating them. Any ideas on effectiveness, cost, permanence, look, or any contractors in the Marin County area who do this or have other cost effective ideas? Please let me know.Thanks, Richard

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I don't know much about ferro cement floors but I sure remember the boats back in the 60's and 70's, every other backyard had one. Must have raised hell on the landfill later.
As a former Civil Engineer, I find it very surprising that the building was allowed over a landfill. I assume that the posts go to bedrock and that there is adequate ventilation under the building.
My personal suggestion is to remove and dispose of the tile now while the danger is known (it might be your grandchild that tears the building down in the future). Most people will have forgotton about asbestos by then.
I am a big advocate of epoxies but I would not trust them to lock up asbestos tiles.

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
> As a former Civil Engineer, I find it very surprising that the building was allowed over a landfill. I assume that the posts go to bedrock and that there is adequate ventilation under the building.

That surprises me. Here in the UK it is common to build housing on landfill. Foundations are the usual 1 metre (3 feet), and there is no under floor ventilation.

Regards, NT

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Here, in the US, landfills are in a constant state of decomposition and thus unstable. They also outgas, primarily methane but many other gasses as well, requiring ventilation under the structure. To the best of my knowledge, there are no permenantly habitible structures built on landfills in FL. Given the smell, it's a small wonder.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts