Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a customer looking to use a fence section on one part of a deck for privacy. Other than a couple of DDT's not sure how I can combat wind and leverage.

Anyone ever do it?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Add a couple posts into the design or if it's already existing cut out/remove the deck board(s) drop you a couple posts - block and fasten, replace deck boards

·
Registered
11,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can also bring your rail posts all the way down to a footing and Simpson bracket if you really need the strength to counter leverage.
That would be the way if the deck is a few feet of the ground. This guy's deck is second story. Unless I drop it down a couple of feet below the rim joist and bracket back to the underside of the deck. I can hide it with lattice maybe.

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
Extra blocking should be able to pick up a lot of load. If it's on a end joist then block back 2-3 more joist bays in a line and that's a crazy amount of strength. Mark has posted some cool methods using threaded rod with nuts and washers if you want a cleaner look on the underside. For the ribbon joist, header, whatever you call it, full blocking and Simpson tension ties should be plenty of strength.

·
Registered
11,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your probably right. Im think a about 7:1 is a lot of bad leverage but in the end its more about the shear of the post which is plenty.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Ethan mentioned the threaded rod technique, which I think works well.

I would carry the post down as far as you can and bolt through to whatever you can.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts