Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
asked and answered (search button would also reveal results) ... three-four premixed bags per post per hole. 12"x30+" deep.
gravel in the bottom of hole under post for drainage.

just read an article today on a guy who uses one 60# bag per post per hole - wow.
not much of a footing...

Mac

·
Registered
100 Posts
I just installed 300' of privacy fence. I spaced the 4x4x8 treated pine postes 6' apart and used 1-80# bag of premix per post. I sunk the posts about 30" deep. I have seen fence companies use NO concrete. maybe thats why I see so many fences blown over after hurricanes.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
asked and answered (search button would also reveal results) ... three-four premixed bags per post per hole. 12"x30+" deep.

just read an article today on a guy who uses one 60# bag per post per hole - wow.
not much of a footing...

Mac
I just instaled a flag pole where i used gravel under the concrete for drainage. in the back uf my mind though im wondering whats to feep the concrete from seeping down into the gravel and clogging it up, thus voiding the drainage ?

·
Trailer park boy
4,802 Posts

not much of a footing...

Mac
3-4 bags:eek: Jebus.

I use 2, and sink the post 3 feet.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I don't like building fences... I don't do them often. Too much manual labor, not enough design work involved.
But when I do, they're solid as hell. Thinking of switching to 4x6 posts for future builds because the 4x4s still have some play.
I use 10' tall posts so I have enough sticking out of the ground for a 6' tall privacy fence.

Mac

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I don't like building fences... I don't do them often. Too much manual labor, not enough design work involved.
But when I do, they're solid as hell. Thinking of switching to 4x6 posts for future builds because the 4x4s still have some play.
I use 10' tall posts so I have enough sticking out of the ground for a 6' tall privacy fence.

Mac
When I redo my POS fence I'm thinking of going with a taller (longer) post so I can put vinyl lattace at the top without scabbing to an 8 footer.

Interesting thought on the 4"x6" too. I might have to give that some consideration too.:thumbsup:

·
RDFLYC
3 Posts
do you concrete your posts in ?
it seem a lot of fence companies do not.
it all depends:
-wood: if You want Your wood post to rot out in time with the moisture trapped inside from the concrete which in the long run will cause the post to rot from the base. do not do this! dig a 30-40 inch deep hole with around the same diameter as the post and just set the post in with the dirt you dug out and tamp the post level!
but it still depends:
-metal/pvc: You want to always set with concrete! dig a whole about double the diameter of the post and around 30-40 inches deep and use type 1/2 cement with a good ratio of sand and stone mixed in to make a solid concrete; then just level properly and allow the post to set.

this is just the basics of post setting i suppose. let me know if you come across a hole you just cant dig or core drilling and quik-rocking! i can help!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think it's a geographical thing. You can't set a solid post in sand but clay is a different story. I have seen a large amount of contractors where I am at stop using concrete to save money and get there bid lower. When you start cutting corners it could turn out pretty bad. A good fence starts from the ground up and that includes a solid post footing that will last as long or longer than the fence material. Regarding chain link, some contractors will only concrete terminal posts and drive the line posts. I set all my posts in a mix of concrete and a hydraulic concrete called quick rok. No c.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Fenceposts

I use a 4x4 9' , dig a hole thats 10'x about 36" deep, dry pack with a concrete mix then just add the water with a hose, leeching it in with some thing like a peice of rebar....

next year we will be switching to a 10' post and going almost 48" into the ground. i suppose it will be a real ***** if it breaks .....hahahaa.....

4x6 posts are a pain cause they are so much heavier.

we are up to about 200' every two days on fencing

happy erecting...hahahaa

·
RDFLYC
3 Posts
hahaha

If your post is LeveL, would not that make it too close to the ground ? Or do you have a way of floating it in mid air ? :laughing:

I usually set my posts Plumb.
what ever you get the idea! haha. i just used the wrong term. i wish they could float in mid air...hmm save a lot of money!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
8 Posts
We used to build decks for a fence contractor that used crush and run with portland cement mixed in on site. They put up a good solid fence and no long term problems I am aware of.

·
Pro-Storm Repair
33 Posts
If your post is LeveL, would not that make it too close to the ground ? Or do you have a way of floating it in mid air ? :laughing:

I usually set my posts Plumb.
Since we mainly build decks and Pole barns I would ne ABSOLUTLY intrested in your floating pole idea .....NOW that would deffinatly put a niche in our biz....Lmao:w00t:

·
Registered
1 Posts
price per post???

not sure where to put this on here so i am sticking it in here.
i was asked to put in some fence post and i am not sure how to price it.
i am putting in around 200 4x4x8 fence posts. i am drilling them in with a trac-skid loader with a 6" bit. thinking it should take 1.5 to 2 days with three ppl. no cement spaced about 6'apart i was thinking about $3.00 per post labor only. is that about right???

·
Al Smith
2,392 Posts
not sure where to put this on here so i am sticking it in here.
i was asked to put in some fence post and i am not sure how to price it.
i am putting in around 200 4x4x8 fence posts. i am drilling them in with a trac-skid loader with a 6" bit. thinking it should take 1.5 to 2 days with three ppl. no cement spaced about 6'apart i was thinking about $3.00 per post labor only. is that about right???
About Tree Fiddy!!
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=tree+fiddy+site%3Acontractortalk.com&aq=f&aqi=&oq=&fp=6b22d27f49a5e7dd

1 - 20 of 35 Posts