Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
ProVolley9 said:
Chillawatt-

No, I'm not her accountant. She is a returning customer of my remodeling company. I specialize in cosmetic work, but can and will do anything residential.....if the price is right.

Teetorbilt-

The customer is picking up all of the materials and they will be on site when I start the job, so I won't be doing any running around.

She has accepted my bid of $500 and we are both satisfied with that amount. Although, I'm probably more satisfied b/c I'll be pocketing $500 for maybe 4 hours of work from start to finish.

Do doctors even make that much? ha

Oh yeah, another reason why I was hoping we could agree on an amount for this small job b/c she has also accepted my $11,000 bid (11k just for labor) for the interior work she wants me to do.
Not to mention the $1,200 she just paid me for building an 8x8' shed for her in 3 days....she already had to materials waiting for me.

She's turning out to be a pretty darn good customer, so I'm glad I was able to work out this small project with her to keep the money comin'. :clap: :thumbup: :notworthy :w00t: ;) :thumbsup:
and to think you were thinking this only a day ago!

Ok, so I think I've come to the conclusion that I'll refer this customer to an everday fence guy that I know since I can't bare the thought of installing 13 posts by hand for $150-$200.

I guess I'll leave this type of stuff up to other contractors that I deal with that have the tools to make this sort of job a breeze.
Now you are farting through silk baby! :clap: :clap: :clap:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Yes, being the Go To Gal (not guy) is a good thing to be. ;)

It's pretty nice to finally be getting some good, real work b/c since I started my company 2 years ago it's seemed as if people were a bit weary of a chic actually being able to do what men are usually called upon for.

I even have an awesome portfolio that I carry at all times to show customers and still some look at me as if I must have taken those pictures from someone else. ha!

Maybe it's b/c I'm a "girly lookin'" girl, rather than some 200lbs manly woman that fools them?

Either way, I don't care b/c of love doing this sh*t! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
For what it's worth, after the fact.
The going rate for labour here in Toronto to dig and set posts is around $20/post, plus the cost of concrete and posts.
That, by the way, is what I would pay my men to do the job. To the customer, $500 sounds about right.
Steve

·
Registered
18 Posts
Quote,

Couple of questions,
1) Are there existing post that will have to be removed

2) Is this a new fence

If there are existing post that will have to be remove, you need to figure how much time it will take to remove them. Clean out the existing post hole & reset the new post

If this is for a new fence , then you'll need to figure on digging or drilling the holes (using an auger is the best way) the holes need to be 8"x2' deep.
simple formula - multiply .28 times the number of post to set, that should tell you how long it will take

KBN

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would love to make 400-500 a day

My problem is I bid too low 80% of the time , so I stopped being self employed for a while and went to work for someone else and to boot I live in the S.F. Bay Area ,so wages are higher and housing is rediculous here, and I still haven't figured out how to estimate good enough to make decent money for my time and effort 80% of the time anyway . Most of the time I increase someones property and I get paid a few bucks to keep paying my Apt rent. I know boo who ! The last job I did I wasnt sure how to bid ,so I just did it on time $50 an hour and materials . Any suggestions on how to get better?
Sounds like a good customer to keep around for a little bit... You might even want to just tell her to make the check out for $400 when your done. She will LOVE that. I think its kind of fair if you daily rate is close to $400 (based upon $1,200 for a 3 day shed) a half day rate should be the same as a full day UNLESS you can acctually go out and make the other half days pay at another job. Those small jobs never work out so a half day is a full day. Just with a little extra time for me to go and play pool.

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
Why dig up an almost 2 year old post?

·
Registered
5 Posts
your right

Yeh it is silly ,but I guess I'm a silly guy , I did sell shoes in Arizona once ,that was actually my first job ,I may not be the best at estimating or writing on these boards , but my work is top notch , English class was overated ,woodshop was where it was at!:censored:
Idea....to.....get....better. this is so silly.

Move to the Air a zona and sell shoes. J.

·
Professional Instigator
6,872 Posts
My problem is I bid too low 80% of the time , so I stopped being self employed for a while and went to work for someone else and to boot I live in the S.F. Bay Area ,so wages are higher and housing is rediculous here, and I still haven't figured out how to estimate good enough to make decent money for my time and effort 80% of the time anyway . Most of the time I increase someones property and I get paid a few bucks to keep paying my Apt rent. I know boo who ! The last job I did I wasnt sure how to bid ,so I just did it on time $50 an hour and materials . Any suggestions on how to get better?

Buy these two books. Michael stone's mark up and profit. Buy hometech's estimating books. If you do small jobs get the handyman book.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Usually it takes bout 20 min per post without breaks and setting up the line you want to go down, add 30 min for setup and 30 min for break , Id charge 200$ and it would take me 3 post per hour,so about 5 hours to 6 hours you would make 200 bucks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What kind of soil do you have to dig through? What are you digging with? How deep does the customer want the post set? Just dirt for backfill or do they want them set with cement? Dont price the job by hour, just price the job as a whole. If I was using post hole diggers and it was pretty tough soil I would charge about $150 if it was someone I didnt know.
A 150 thats like 11 bucks a post im calling you next time im doing a fence. I can make a small fortune off of you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
ProVolley,

I don't think there's anything wrong with $30/post (labor only) . . .

Personally, - - I would charge $50/post . . . (at least in my area)

If you're worried about losing the customer for the future, - - simply explain that you have to charge your 'going rate' (the same amount you would be making if you were to go to some other job that day), - - and say you have no problem if they would like to 'shop it around' . . .

"Just do be careful not to get one of the many 'butchers or thieves' out there, M'am" !!
Im with this guy 50 bucks a post is not unreasonable at all the avrrage cost is 74 bucks a post 150 for all of them wish he lived near me i could make a fortune off of him.

·
Premium Member
Retired deck builder
6,518 Posts
Im with this guy 50 bucks a post is not unreasonable at all the avrrage cost is 74 bucks a post 150 for all of them wish he lived near me i could make a fortune off of him.
You might have to dig him out of a grave old as this thread is.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've got a returning customer that wants 13 4x4 fence posts set.

She will be building the fence herself, but wants me to set the 13 posts.

My question is:

What is a good rate to charge for a job like this?

$/hr or $/post? If I charged hourly I figure this job would bid out at $400.

Any feedback greatly appreciated!!
Pricing the whole job might be happy dealing. Rate it as per difficulty that is generally convincing to the customers.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts