Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys

i took the plunge today & bought a couple rolls of grace -- hoping to apply part of it tomorrow.

grumpy mentioned a guy who always goes over grace completely with roofing felt, as opposed to just lapping 4" at the top. is this overkill -- and maybe worse -- because you'd be stapling the felt down thru the grace, adding a ton of extra small holes? i know the grace is supposed to seal up really well around penetrations, but i'd imagine the fewer to begin with, the better. is the extra layer of underlayment worth the staple holes?

also -- is a run of aluminum flashing down the valleys (planning on closed, woven valleys, btw), over the grace, worth the bother, or is it stupid? i think i've only got 16" wide max. aluminum right now, so it's probably not worth bothering with.

thanks!

·
Repair/Remodeling Tech.
1,645 Posts
also -- is a run of aluminum flashing down the valleys (planning on closed, woven valleys, btw), over the grace, worth the bother, or is it stupid? i think i've only got 16" wide max. aluminum right now, so it's probably not worth bothering with.
All's fair in love and valleys :eek: , there is no such thing as overkill in a valley IMHO. If you have 16" AL, you might put the run down the center of the valley, then another with the edge at the center on each side...nail it down, ice and water, felt ran over from each side, as well as shingles ran over from each side (since you're weaving, there's no real thought to this one, it will just happen.

BTW, are you using archis or 3-tabs? If you're weaving 3 tabs you're OK. Not saying it's impossible to weave archis and make it lay right, but it's harder. If you're using archis, you might consider a cut (google: california cut) valley.

·
Commercial Roofing
1,220 Posts
I say do not cover the IWS with felt (certainly overlap it) and leave the aluminum out of the valley, proveided your installers are well-versed in the mechanics of waterflow within the valley assembly (dubbing the corners, proper nailing and shingle placement, etc).

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I don't know this expression "dubbing", feel like explaining? Rich.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Only reason to use metal plus i/w in valley is if you are doing open valleys otherwise the overlap or weave will handle the water, i/w in a closed valley is only a backup.

·
Registered
174 Posts
We do not recommend felt over GIWS. Why have all of those extra nails? Exposure time is 30 days. This is a conservative number....most jobs can go longer exposed. Look for "edge curl" of the top plastic film, when it gets to 3/4", cover it up.
Jim

·
Commercial Roofing
1,220 Posts
I think the only time I would like to see felt over IWS would be to act as a separator between the the IWS and metal roof panels so that the roof does not stick to the IWS as it expands and contracts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts