Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've decided to use double #15 felt under my stucco and still want to use the Flexwrap for the window flashing. Does anyone know if the Flexwrap will adhere to the felt? I'm hearing, mostly, that it will not. I really am stumped on this one. Any ideas?:eek:

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
why does it have to stick? as long as you got it secured going the right way it's going to work.is it compatible with asphalt? there's your question

why 15lb?30 lb is usually recomended

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
I'd consider #30 as a primary with #15 over top as a bond breaker.:thumbsup:

As for the flashing, any water that infiltrates will stay behind the stucco until it either drains or evaporates back through. Get your paper behind the flanges on the bottom and sides and over the flanges on the tops. I doubt there is much more you can do to prevent moisture damage within the wall assembly.

Reactions: bigbaby

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much for your replies.

The Flexwrap by Tyvek is butyl rubber and not normally compatible w/asphalt but I have heard that the #15 doesn't have enough to worry about. Down here we are required to cover window flanges, sides and top with sticky tape by code and I first put the flexwrap on the window sill and 6" up both sides and then mold it down past the sill onto the wall on the bottom, then install the window, then cover side and top flanges with sticky tape and then lap the felt over the top.

Under the double layer of felt is osb 'windstorm'.

I'm glad to hear from you both because I've read the things you've written in different posts and really respect your opinions. I actually didn't really worry much about any of this until I started reading alot here and studying about drainage planes on walls. Now that I want to do things the very best way, I'm almost having to tie the framer up and force him to do it. He wants to use Typar or whatever tyvek makes for stucco and I do not. I want the 2 layers of felt. I do like the idea of 30 in back and 15 on the top.

Since I'm required to use the tape over flanges and want to have the felt under the flanges - if it doesn't stick well, do you think it would be all right to cap nail it on? And then put the 2nd layer of felt over that?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just had an idea. Maybe we could take a 2 or 3" width of tyvek all around the perimeter of the window under the flanges, yet over the first layer of felt, then nail in windows.

Put the tape over the flanges, which would then adhere to the tyvek, then cover all with the 2nd layer of felt. What do you think?

·
Custom Builder
1,412 Posts
When its warm out it will. When its cold nothing sticks to anything. Im with Tom, if its lapped and installed correctly the sticking to the felt is secondary. It will always stick to itself.

When ever we have to deal with stucco the stucco sub does there wrb. I use 15 lb about two ft out from opening then wrap it in to the opening. Install vicor sill pan, silicone top and sides. Install window and tape sides then top. This gives the stucco guys enough to deal with so they can lap there paper to mine hoever they want.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, I see, the vicor will stick to itself. Sides will stick to bottom, top will stick to sides -at least where they touch. Thanks. I already got the Flexwrap and Straight Flash and will have to use it. I wish I'd heard about vicor before - didn't realize it comes in butyl rubber.

Really appreciate your help. The framer is installing the windows today.
Thanks.:thumbsup:

·
Dan
4,822 Posts
I keep a heat gun with me in the winter when we have to install windows. it makes the Protector or Vycor stick right away. I always line the studs with this wrap over the tyvek or felt. then as others have stated, you install the window, making the top paper over the flange. After that. I tape the over the flanges with 3" strips of protecto.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
It doesn't stick to 30# well, and doesn't have to...

I've used regular staples (slaptacker) on the corners, just to keep it pretty and flat till the siding goes on:whistling

Reactions: knucklehead

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
not every window out there with no sticky tape flashing self destructs,we spend a lot of time and money on beveled pans flexwrap and caulk when maybe every window doesn't actually require it....i know...warranty:shifty:

·
Superior Firepower
5,089 Posts
I've decided to use double #15 felt under my stucco and still want to use the Flexwrap for the window flashing. Does anyone know if the Flexwrap will adhere to the felt? I'm hearing, mostly, that it will not. I really am stumped on this one. Any ideas?:eek:
All our stucco guys use two layers of 60 minute paper. I flash the windows with yicor and detail tape
Thanks Chris, does the vicor stick to the felt?
Felt and building paper are 2 different things.

·
Custom Builder
1,412 Posts
not every window out there with no sticky tape flashing self destructs,we spend a lot of time and money on beveled pans flexwrap and caulk when maybe every window doesn't actually require it....i know...warranty:shifty:
Id agree ive put windows in shops, barns, houses when I was a kid with a neighbor. He never did anything but use felt, never has had any problems and thats been 20+ years with big windows western exposure. Some guys use vicor and blue skin and think its a fix all cure all.

Now homeowners and builders expect flashings to be used. Even if there installed improperly everybody feels good.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Happy to report that we had no trouble getting the tyvek flexwrap to stick to the #15 felt for anyone who wants this information.

·
Registered
440 Posts
ive been off the fourm for a while but we always use pella tape for our flashing, still sticks in the middle of the winter.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts