Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fein Multimaster

Great quality tool but overpriced, but dont mine paying for quality.
But what a rip off on the blades. Overpriced and you don’t get the high quality. They seem to really take advantage of customers with the pricing this and is why I wont buy any other Fein tools out of principal.

Just got a Harbor Freight tools catalog. I know cheap disposable tools.
But they have a clone for $39.99 that also comes with 2 blades, scraper and sanding pads.
The replacement blades are only $5.99.
I wonder if the blades would fit the Multimaster. After 10 years with my first one I recently upgraded to the new model with the sort of star shape in the blades.
The Fein blades are only Harbor Freight quality anyway, maybe worth a try.

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
Fein Multimaster

But what a rip off on the blades. Overpriced and you don’t get the high quality. They seem to really take advantage of customers with the pricing this and is why I wont buy any other Fein tools out of principal.

But they have a clone for $39.99 that also comes with 2 blades, scraper and sanding pads.
I wonder if the blades would fit the Multimaster.
After 10 years with my first one I recently upgraded to the new model with the sort of star shape in the blades.
That would be nice.Someone on ebay sell blades that fit that are pretty cheap.I have never used them.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Fein Multimaster

I wonder if the blades would fit the Multimaster. After 10 years with my first one I recently upgraded to the new model with the sort of star shape in the blades.
I just talked to a guy today who has the HF clone. He was working side by side with a guy with the Fein. He claims it was a close match. The HF model is one speed (11,000) if I remember correctly. The Fein ranges from 11,000- 24,000 I think? He said the HF blades are not a perfect fit but worked and didn't fall out. I'm gonna go look at one this weekend. I'm sure it will not come close to Fein for dependability, but you can get them 10 for the price of 1.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Fein Multimaster

I have that HF model. Just saw a review online and the only thing bad was the fact it was single speed. That being said, I wouldn't use it every day. But as an occasional tool it is fine!(cheap blades)
The hole is a circle in the blades, don't know what youyrs requires!

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
i've been wanting one forever, just have a hard time swallowing that kind of coin, so i looked at the Dremel unit at Menards for $99, comes with a case and basic blades, i then looked at all the blades they had on the shelf and upfitted it with everything they had in stock for $146 total, unit and blades. The nice thing, the Dremel blades are compatible with the Fein multitool:thumbsup: so there's your cheap out on blades:) I've only used it a few times and it's done everything i've needed it to do, has the variable speed and worked like a champ:clap:

first time i tried it i was putting floor patch panels in and wanted to see how easily it cut square corners...it slipped down through the 1x's like butter.

·
I like Green things
23,031 Posts
Get a MM, the rest are just toys.

Buy a MM once in your lifetime, or 10 dremmels, rockwell, bosch whatever. The Orginal is still the king. Yes it is a tool that will see limited use but, when you have something come up that you need the MM for, I can garuntee that the Fien will work everytime you whip it out!!

I am thinking about painting mine green.

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
Get a MM, the rest are just toys.

Buy a MM once in your lifetime, or 10 dremmels, rockwell, bosch whatever. The Orginal is still the king. Yes it is a tool that will see limited use but, when you have something come up that you need the MM for, I can garuntee that the Fien will work everytime you whip it out!!

I am thinking about painting mine green.
That is so very true.It makes super tricky/awkward cuts a breeze.
Not to mention what it can do with tile,sanding,scraping and on and on.

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
I refuse to sand with the MM but, that is just me. If I was a doctor, I would preform open heart surgery with a MM!!
I have only ever used it to get into really tight corners.I have too may other sanders for the dig stuff.

·
Palisade Point Const.
2,276 Posts
The multi-master is great other than the cost of the blades. I really need to order some off of multi-blades. As far as the ultimate cheap option, I have a pneumatic tool designed to remove windshields that works just like the multimaster, and even takes Fein supercut blades. You could buy the saw and a blade off of multiblades for less than the cost of the HF tool, and yet it's really good quality. Here is a post I had in another thread about it.
As for a really cheap alternative to the Fien, check this out:
http://www.tool-home.com/products/ca...oducts_id=6266

It works the same as the fien, and is surprisingly good quality. It takes a fair amount of air, but when the pressure is up, it cuts faster than a Fien multi master, or about the same as the Fien Supercut. It takes Supercut blades, although you can use Multimaster blades if you really crank down on them. In order to fit the sanding pad, replace the washer and bolt that hold the blade on with something smaller to fit in the depression in the sanding pad (10 min and $2 at the hardware store). The greatest thing about this tool is the size however- about the size of the Procon detail saw, or about half the size of the Fien and the Dremel- great for getting into tight places. The tool exausts to the rear, so if you remove that black tube off the back, It blows air over your arms, which feels really good during the summer, but is less desirable in the winter. It will however make a passable air gun for blowing dust. As for cons- this thing uses a lot of air if you are using it a lot. I was running mine off of a 8 gallon wheelbarrow compressor, and with just the one tool plugged in, it was running at least half the time. Then there is the noise. Cross the noise that the Fien makes with a dentist's drill and double the volume, and you have an idea of what it sounds like. Anyways, I usually use my Fien, mainly because of the convenience of plugging into the wall, but it's really handy when I need to get in somewhere really small, or if I need both a sanding pad and a blade, because I can set up one on each.

·
Pro
636 Posts
What does HF call their model. I have been trying to order one for a couple weeks now and can't bite the bullet. It would be so much easier to do it if it was only $40. I will only be using mine occasionally that I can think of now. If I use it more than I think I will, I will jump into the MM without a problem.

·
Palisade Point Const.
2,276 Posts
Keep in mind, that's going to cut like a multimaster on it's lowest setting.
As long as you have a compressor on site, buy the window remover for $16, and a bunch of blades. It will work way way better.

Then maybe later you can jump right past the multimaster and get the supercut, which will use the same blades as the window remover.

ETA: there is a converter that you can buy to fit multimaster blades on a supercut. It costs about $30, but I'm not sure if it will work on the window remover, because I think it threads into the bolt hole, and I'm not sure it's the same thread. I'm intending to look into it, because it would be great to be able to use the same blades for my Multimaster and the window remover.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts