Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Aussie in Norway
242 Posts
I know people buck at the price of the Fein but I can't really see what the problem is. The argument is usually, "for the amount I use it I can't see the value of spending so much...". This is exactly why i spent the money. When you have to pull the thing out you know the job is a pain in the arse. The better the tool, the less pain there is. I have found the Fein to be one of those tools that is there to get me out of a bind. Yes, I use my recip saw much more, but then these are 2 different tools. One is for demo, the other for a neat finish. Considering I have used it for: re-glazing, cutting, cutting vinyl and carpet and grout removal, I'd say it's paid for itself several times over. Some of these jobs were pretty intense and if I had used a lower quality tool I have no doubt it would be cactus by now.

samthedog.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Harbor Freight is to contractors tools as Craigslist is to contractor leads. They both offer low quality pieces of sh*t to contractors.

Did I say that? :shutup:

I've been in there a couple of times, I really like the rip off Chicago Pneumatic tools. They call them Chicago Electric or something like that.

I'm surprised they don't have cheap rip offs of Snap On tools, they could call them Crap Ons.:laughing:

Sorry, I say no to junk, it produces junk results and costs you money in the long run.

All those customers who like the low ball contractors would probably advise you to buy HF tools. I could hear them now : Do you think you could do any better on the price of this job? Maybe if you didn't have all those brand name professional tools? Maybe if you bought your tools at Harbor Freight you could do my job cheaper.

:laughing:

Anyways when it comes to tools I'd actually have no problem spending a lot more on them in some cases. I'd like to see truly professional tools made of metal instead of plastic where it counts, I'd spend more on tools for performance and longevity if they existed. Produce a miter saw made like a freak'n brick sh*t house but weighs 2/3 less and I'd spend $2000 on it if it had a reputation to last a generation. I'd much rather spend $2000 on something like that then $400 on some miter saw with built in obsolescence. Or give me the choice of a $2000 framing nailer that is going to work for 20 years as good as the day it was bought new. Professional tools are supposed to be wicked expensive and not something you'll find in a contractors tool box and in the customer's garage you are working on. "Oh look I have the same drill as you do!"

Look at some of those old sears craftsman skill saws, those things are still perfectly serviceable and in service and are 10 times better then some piece of crap ryobi trying to pretend to be a professional tool. Hilti is probably the last remaining tool maker who actually is making tools for professionals.
The problem is Mike that most of these new tools are sold to contractors and home owners and the use of more metal drives up cost and the main thing it drives up weight. It's all good and well having a tool thats built like a german tank but it needs to be portable. It's hard to get a good combo of light weight and strength. Plastics are the way forward in my eyes and as time goes on they will only get stronger. I have had a makita drill that my dad handed down to me and that thing was plastic throughout and it still runs to this day. It has been dropped on concrete floors from 14-15ft up and run over buy a dumper and dropped in water. It just keeps on running.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
I know people buck at the price of the Fein but I can't really see what the problem is. The argument is usually, "for the amount I use it I can't see the value of spending so much...". This is exactly why i spent the money. When you have to pull the thing out you know the job is a pain in the arse. The better the tool, the less pain there is. I have found the Fein to be one of those tools that is there to get me out of a bind. Yes, I use my recip saw much more, but then these are 2 different tools. One is for demo, the other for a neat finish. Considering I have used it for: re-glazing, cutting, cutting vinyl and carpet and grout removal, I'd say it's paid for itself several times over. Some of these jobs were pretty intense and if I had used a lower quality tool I have no doubt it would be cactus by now.

samthedog.
:thumbsup: Exactly.

You show me anybody who thinks a well built, solid, reliable high-quality tool is too expensive and I guarantee that's the same guy who is putting up two scraps of drywall instead of using 2/3 of a new sheet cause he can't see bear to having to throw away those 2 scraps plus add that left over 1/3 to throw away. Instead he will put up the scraps, save the full sheet and waste the labor on the mudding and think he is coming out ahead.

·
Aussie in Norway
242 Posts
:thumbsup: Exactly.

You show me anybody who thinks a well built, solid, reliable high-quality tool is too expensive and I guarantee that's the same guy who is putting up two scraps of drywall instead of using 2/3 of a new sheet cause he can't see bear to having to throw away those 2 scraps plus add that left over 1/3 to throw away. Instead he will put up the scraps, save the full sheet and waste the labor on the mudding and think he is coming out ahead.
I refuse to dick about with stuff like that. I am renovating my house and am doing it all myself. It has seen me buying tools that I would never use on a paying job. Getting a tradesman here costs so much and they are so backlogged that even with me buying a good tool it costs me 1/2 the price to do it myself. Because of this my time and sanity are at a premium so I buy the best tools I can to get some kind of enjoyment from doing these jobs. Best part is that my wife is cool with it!!!:thumbup:

samthedog.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Mike, the Kapex is only 1300 bucks, weighs 42 pounds and should be a lifetime miter saw.
I think any higher end tools would last a life time if looked after. I seen guys with saws like mine who throw them about and put stuff on top of them and they cant last long being treated like that. The Kapex is a great example of a company that has no issue with using a lot of plastic as it keeps the weight down and is still pretty dam tough and good quality tool.

·
I like Green things
23,031 Posts
I think any higher end tools would last a life time if looked after. I seen guys with saws like mine who throw them about and put stuff on top of them and they cant last long being treated like that. The Kapex is a great example of a company that has no issue with using a lot of plastic as it keeps the weight down and is still pretty dam tough and good quality tool.

It's funny how things do last longer when they are taken care of.

The plastic that Festool uses is some tough ass stuff.

All internals of their tools are metal, the gears and such.

I am willing to pay more for the reliability, toughness and SERVICE. <--the big one to me!

·
Banned
9,058 Posts
Yeah, I go down to the shop and just stare...had hernia surg, one hand carp. tunn. with the other hand scheduled for fri, all this year...so not a whole lot of use this year...so she's just like new :mad:

I'll be a new man by the end of the year (and maybe the market will have picked up around here by then)

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Ah, I didn't know that was a Festool.

Festool is known for being bomb proof or extremely accurate aren't they? I was under the impression most people buy Festools for the accuracy and high technical level of detail to them.

How many would trust those Festools to employees?

Things I want to see are just plain ruggedness.

Like we have the Rigid contractor saw. Pretty nice saw, but I'd pay extra for one with more metal on it. Employee proof means more metal vs plastic. Same with the stands we use, more metal please and more thought out designs for longevity. Those little flimsy release cables on those stands are just begging to be torn off, running them through a tube instead of exposing them hanging about would be a better idea.

·
I like Green things
23,031 Posts
Just a little, I only have 2 of those roll boards, you have one more Sortainer and I still can't convince myself to buy the boom arm, not real portable. Still learning new things to use my MFT/3 for.

I will take some pictures at Festool USA's own shop this monday and tuesday when I get to go play with all their tools!!

21 - 40 of 65 Posts