Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Finishing Carpenter
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at our local wood show last weekend, and the Fein rep was there showing off the "new" fein blades. he had one that was a bi-metal ($17)

It looked interesting, he said it could cut through a dozen or more nails. The sample nails he had however were 18 gauge, all sticking up through a board.

I was going to try ONE but all the store had was packages of 10, and that's just way too much money. I could buy a whole new fein multimaster kit for less that that ($159 on sale)

Has anyone tried this new bi-metal blade? is it worth the extra bucks? Its a lot of money if it doesn't last more than a nail or two.

·
Carbon Dioxide Producer
782 Posts
I haven't tried that Fein blade yet, but Bosch came out with a very similar carbide toothed metal/wood cutting OSC blade a few months back. I bought a couple and have used them to cut through some nails while replacing a couple of rotted window sills. They seem to be holding up, but at $17.50+ per blade, I guess they probably should.

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-OSC114C-4-Inch-Multi-Tool-Carbide/dp/B00ELC9R9S

·
Punching above his weight
12,847 Posts
I use the Dremel multitool and their blades seem to do well. I'm up to at least a dozen 8d/10d nails on the blade I'm on right now. Blade still looks ok. Takes a while to cut the nail, you kinda have to baby the blade a little, but whatever. Better than really messing up the piece.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I use bi-metal Kent blades, cost about $5 each. Just as good as the old Fein blades.

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Recently purchased the Rockwell set. Think it was six blades for about $30. Couple wood couple metal and couple bimetal. I'll have to look in my truck.

It seems that you get a better deal when you buy in bulk. Those blades are too damn expensive.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Ive been happy with Bosch, but then found imperial blades, just as good bit less expensive. Here above the 42nd parallel Rona has their own eco brand, buy a large (2" wide) course blade for 16 bucks, kill it trade the burnt remains in and its 5 off from there on out. Just got a couple, seem good thus far

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.