Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanting some feedback on some stairs. They are for kids in a basement creche to escape in case of a fire.

The stairs are based on the same structure for mass produced steps for kids so that they can brush there teeth/wash hands at a sink.

I'll be using 3/4" luan plywood (Homedepot). I'll be rounding the top stringers and 220 grit sanding them, just wondering if they would need sealing with filler or something for any loose grain.

Where the locking coasters are I thought about putting a 1 x 4 stretcher across for support and to tie the two side together.

I'll groove the risers and treads into the ply 3/8 deep and glue, then put 1 x 2 under each tread screwed up into the underside of the tread and into the riser.

What type of glue should I use, will gorilla glue be okay.

The customer only needs them to be 2 feet wide.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
24,739 Posts
I don't think your idea of portable steps will fly.

I don't do basements, we don't have many out here, but I believe the max height for an egress window is 44" and there may be one permanantly attached step to aid egress.

Some of the regular basement guys may have more/better info.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think your idea of portable steps will fly.

I don't do basements, we don't have many out here, but I believe the max height for an egress window is 44" and there may be one permanantly attached step to aid egress.

Some of the regular basement guys may have more/better info.
Its not my idea, the customer wants the steps, she showed me a similar design from a school brochure (birch faced plywood) with just two steps. She wants the locking castors on because she wants to move it around from time to time.

The window is 43" high, I'm replacing the existing slider with a full opening outwards.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
You might run a 2x4 across the bottom of the back to tie it together and this will give you something to tie the castors into.

You might also design the whole thing as some sort of book rack. If there is a woman involved, it will have some stuff stacked on top of it, so you may as well plan ahead.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts