as we like to say up here: "North to the future!"

let's keep the ball rollin'

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BTW, here is the text of the article:
TheAdminZone said:
With forums created for professional contractors, Contractor Talk ( [url]www.ContractorTalk.com[/url]) provides a community for Painters, Roofers, Landscapers and more to discuss business and trade knowledge.

Using VBulletin 3.0 and launched in September 2003, Contractor Talk provides a niche environment because of the owner's own desire for information online for contracting businesses.

"Two years ago I decided to leave my job as a Network Design Engineer with Sprint and start a paint contracting business. I had the entrepreneur bug and I really wanted to start my own business." said owner/Administrator Nathan Wingate.

"But there was a problem. While I had painted throughout college and knew some general info about the trade, I knew nothing about actually running a business.

"Being the tech guy that I am I decided to do a quick web search for help and I came across a great website by the name of www.painterschatroom.com. This website was my saving grace. By talking with painting veterans I was able to get step by step instructions for how to form my business, market, do estimates and everything else you could want to know.

"I was so impressed by this forum that I started looking at other trade based forums such as landscaping and roofing. After a few month of participating on these boards I realized that the knowledge that was being shared was almost the same. It ended up that about 50% of the knowledge was about business systems and marketing and the other 50% was specific trade knowledge such as specific paint products or lawn mowers.

"I searched the web to try and find a website that pulled all this knowledge together but I had no luck. There was nothing out there!

"Out of this search www.ContractorTalk.com was born. Contractor Talk is unique in the industry because it brings the trades together. We have general topic sections in our forum for business and marketing ideas, while still having individual trade forums for trade specific questions. The basic idea behind Contractor Talk is that the marketing idea that works for a landscaper will work for a painter as well…so why not work together?"

With one administrator and three moderators, Contractor Talk's community of 500 members (over 90% men) enjoys the added features of the Arcade Script and uses Google's Adsense for revenue.

Owner/Admin Nathan Wingate discovered another need as the community of Contractor Talk continued to grow:

"In December 2003 I launched www.diychatroom.com as a sister site to Contractor Talk. Contractor Talk is designed for professional contractors to share knowledge and we found a lot of homeowners coming to our site to ask questions. There are a lot of contractors who like to help but Contractor Talk wasn’t the place for this to occur. I found that Contractors started to get worried about posting their business practices if they thought homeowners were watching.

"To solve this problem we started DIY Chat Room and it’s worked great. We now have a place to send homeowners as well as a place for contractors to go who like to help out."

Nathan Wingate is 26 years old, married and has a baby girl due on July 9th. He lives in Clermont Florida and enjoys working on his websites and helping out in his church. He typically spends 2 hours per day on his site.

"I basically read through all the posts, add my own comments and tweak the design of the board whenever possible. What I enjoy most about running the board is the knowledge that I gain. These small business owners and craftsmen are a great resource for me."

Congrats Contractor Talk for being selected as Featured Forum at The Admin Zone. May contractors find business wisdom within the posts of your community of Contractor Talk for years to come! (And congrats on that new baby girl!)

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Congratulations are truly due! This has become one of my favorite sites, I see that I am not alone in my assessment.
You may now apply to major manufacturers for additional revenue.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Too cool - congratulations Nate. I'd have never guessed you were such a young buck. :cheesygri Many thanks to our moderators as well for exercising exceptional discretion. :Thumbs:

·
Registered
52 Posts
This is a well deserved award. I am a member of many forums and this is probably my favorite because of the quality of the posts. I rarely read a worthless post here. Because my time is not spent digging through needless threads, I am able read and learn so much everytime I log on.

Thanks to all who make this forum what it is and thanks to Nathan for providing the environment for this knowledge sharing. :Thumbs:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Nathan said:
Thanks guys....

PipeGuy, it only a year and 2 days to read this thread, LOL.
:)
I am now training two young'ns to be GC's so I often make hardcopies for discussion during breaks. Worth the effort, so take a bow!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Aw, heck, ya just got lucky!

Jkg, Congrats to the creators, but mainly, except for me, the contributors.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts