Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Handsaw.

It lets me feel the wood, as i Swiftly cut away its legs.

It can really get awkward when "Screws and Lag Bolts" get involved.

Why? Because im passionate about my wood :)

-Bill

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Lay 4x4 or 6x6 on saw horses.
Square three sides.
Cut top line and roll 4x4 at the same time so that you cut 2nd line.
Roll 4x and cut last line.
Good smooth level cut. :thumbup:

Preferred saw: Makita 7 1/4

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
7 1/4" blade won't cut through a 6x6 - snag yourself a beam saw (10" blade) to do it in 2 cuts or use circ. saw to cut all 4 sides of 6x6 and finish off center w/ sawzall.
(Preference being beam saw but I don't know your cash situation...maybe a new tool isn't in the mix right now)

Mac

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
4x4 gets lopped with a mitersaw, 6x6 gets cut with an 8 1/4" sidewinder.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Anyone use a Prazi beam saw attachment?
Yup, been using it for 3yrs now and LOVE IT!!

Use it for ALOT of other cuts too, but for doing 4x4-6x6 cuts it's nice....2 straight cuts for beam reliefs and your done. Keep a sharp chain in it and it cuts like butter, nice and true.

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
:blink::eek::blink:<<<Before, during and after.:laughing: Nice saw Bass, I can't justify the $$$ to own one of them, but I'd pay someone to let me take a ride on one.:thumbsup:
It is a Monster, but fun to use. I did a 6x6 retaining wall and basement stair project that required about 100 cuts through 6x6 so getting that saw was a no brainer. I bought it barely used for $300... still had the original HSS blade.

Come on over and take her for a spin.:laughing:

It's nice out now... it warmed up 30* today... but still in single digits.:santa:

Cheers,

Bass

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
It is a Monster, but fun to use. I did a 6x6 retaining wall and basement stair project that required about 100 cuts through 6x6 so getting that saw was a no brainer. I bought it barely used for $300... still had the original HSS blade.

Come on over and take her for a spin.:laughing:

It's nice out now... it warmed up 30* today... but still in single digits.:santa:

Cheers,

Bass
I could swing 3 Benjamins for that saw, sweet deal.:thumbsup: Single digits? Maybe I'll swing by in about 6 months for that test drive.
:whistling

·
The Deck Guy
3,126 Posts
I have the Milwaukee 10" (the older one) and it's OK. It's massive to heft and seems like it struggles if you wander even just a hair off the cut line and try to correct.

I might get rid of it only because I really don't use it as much as I thought I would.

Had a Prazi. Loved it at first, but I was getting too much drift in the cuts (stair stringers) and the tearout was pretty bad. The problem I found was that it was VERY tough to get the chainbar EXACTLY 90º to the saw's base. If you are cutting something 7" thick and the the bar is even a little out, you might have a 1/8 to 1/4" deviation from top to bottom which caused A LOT of problems with building stairs.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I've had the big Makita for about 20 years now. We use it on every job. It saves a ton of time, if you cut a lot of bigger posts and beams. We even use it for cutting joists at angles from the top.

It is a beast and has quite the startup kick. We call it "Jaws", because it could easily take off a arm or leg.

·
Super Moderator
10,660 Posts
Where I used to work we had a 10" Porter Cable beast. Was probably 20 years old even back then. Had quite a kick on startup. We called it the airplane saw cause it sounded like a plane taking off at startup. I remember it took about a full 30 seconds to wind down too.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Where I used to work we had a 10" Porter Cable beast. Was probably 20 years old even back then. Had quite a kick on startup. We called it the airplane saw cause it sounded like a plane taking off at startup. I remember it took about a full 30 seconds to wind down too.

you don't use a saw like that; you experience it:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Anyone use a Prazi beam saw attachment?

I have one. I like it.

I may try gang cutting some Ijoist next house if I grow big enough balls.

If that works well it will be an amazing asset

·
Registered
194 Posts
Ive been looking into buying the Milwaukee 10" Circular to be best friends with my Milwaukee 7 1/4" Circular.

I technically dont need either one building cabinets...if I want to compare them to the Streibig panel saw sitting in the shop, theres no contest, but I still like to have all my tools.

Ive used my fathers 8 1/4" Dewalt CS cutting a 6x6. Id rather have the milwaukee, the dewalt just wasnt comfortable in my hand, I did like the brake when you let off the trigger though. My Stihl 460 will do the job in milliseconds, NO COMPETITION!

:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts