Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I,d liven up the forum a tad.What is your favorite line as a flatwork concrete guaranty?Mine is simple; it will crack and it will not blow away!

·
Registered
21 Posts
my favorite topic,,,

conc cracks by nature,,, tension stress causes the most damage altho its not immediately apparent,,, often welded-wire-mesh is spec'd but rarely is it plac'd where intended - vertically equidistant from top & bottom +/- 5% if i remember aci specs correctly,,, it comes into use while the conc's 'green' ONLY,,, after the conc cures, it holds the broken pieces together :whistling more 'n any other reason, conc fails because joints're not cut/installed properly, imo.

2nd reason's unsatisfactory base prep/compaction.

the guy who invents uncrackable conc'll retire a zillionaire,,, til then, proper prep, placing, finishing, curing, & jointing're the best guides,,, or so it seems to me.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
in the countertop biz
1-cracking is part of the beauty
2-no two pieces are the same
3-it is a piece of art
4-if you cut on it , you will ruin your knife

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Why are all the guarantees negative relative to what is used?

Most businesses use guarantees as a selling tool and not a "buyer beware" warning.

Certainly there must be a way to give your work a positive image and still be accurate.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Sounds like most of the comments are either jokes, slams or excuses. Maybe that is the reason U.S. concrete contractors cannot sell the positives. Almost all referred to the properties and nothing was said about what the contractor CAN add to make it valuable and desireable. There were some very accurate descriptions that recognize the benefits.

It certainly is gray, heavy, cheap, can crack and will not blow away. That just just a description of the material's properties and benefits and say nothing about the ability of the contractor. Concrete and masonry are the preferred residential building material in the intellegent, developed world. It is just that the people there (Europe, Russia, India, China, etc.) know how to do it right AND let people know about it and it's beneficial and "green" properties. So far, the U.S. Canada, Tonga (possibly) and parts of Africa (excluding RSA, Ghana and few other selected areas) are the leaders in temporary residential construction.

It is time for concrete and masonry contractor to wise up and learn how to promote what they CAN do and provide.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
If you do not be positive about the product/job or YOUR guarantee, you may eventually never have a chance to work it right or screw it up.

·
Super Moderator
9,836 Posts
I am breaking ground on a new 2600 sq/ft ICF home.....if I couldn't sell it, I wouldn't be doing it. My own new home will have stained concrete floors, counters, bars, and probably stamped drive and patio areas...I love concrete.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I dont think the foreign countries are ahead of us with concrete uses, I think America in general is too cheap to pay for the quality work that comes with concrete construction. Don't worry though. Im sure someone will have a crew of illegals pouring for less than it cost to nail a house togather real soon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just thought I,d liven up the forum a tad.What is your favorite line as a flatwork concrete guaranty?Mine is simple; it will crack and it will not blow away!
Was meant to be a light-hearted discussion. I'm sure we all know the seriousness of accentuating the positive while down playing (but not ignoring) the negative.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As before stated this thread was intended to be light hearted and FUN!!!! After 30 years of being in the industry and not having to advertise for work.....I am now curious? How would the more serious word there guarentee.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts