Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Home Repairs
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a contractor friend who was just awarded the hardwood floor jobs on a new condo subdivision. He asked me if I could work with him on my slow days over the next couple months. All I have is a 12" Dewalt miter. He said he uses a mini-circ with a speed sqaure.

What do you guys prefer using?

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
Any chop will do. I usually take 10" chop and put it at the end of the run and yhen a t saw for rips in the middle.

I also always curse not bringing the miter stand after remaining bent over for four hours at a time.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Why not purchase a small 7-1/4" miter saw?

The Craftsman brand, or dare I say, Kobalt, would be fine. It probably doesn't need to be super precise, or expensive. And rather than carrying a 10" or 12" saw around the weight savings would be worth it to me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The mini-circ would work just fine, but you'll find that a miter saw will save you a lot of time. No need to square your cuts with the speed square on every single cut. Just mark your cut, run to your miter and chop away. Takes about 1/4 of the time as using a circular for every square cut.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Doing a hardwood job with a skilsaw? That's friggen nuts. You'd be better off buying some Harbor Freight piece of crap miter saw. I use a 10 inch Makita sliding compound saw and a Makita table saw. And a Porter Cable router to keep everything T&G.

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
Really? No, I mean he seriously wants to do that? :eek: That brings back memories! I haven't seen guys using a circ for floors in a loooong time. The last time was a couple of jagoffs in a beat up Camaro 14-15 years ago. They did a GREAT job :no::laughing:. If you're doing more than a few hundred feet, just buy a cheapo 10" chop to save yourself all the time and aggravation. Probably get a good one at a pawn shop for $50.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,702 Posts
On refinish jobs, with a few small repairs, I drag out the circ saw & speed square. Big jobs, I actually bring in 3 saws. Small 10" at the end of the runs hooked to a vaccum. In the garage, or yard, SCMC & tablesaw. If we're laying big wood, I wanna blow threw it at 75-100 bd ft/hr on the open runs. I bring out the tools to make that possible.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I dont post often but this type of thread really gets to me.Im aware that this is a forum and were all supposed to help each other but cmon man,you couldnt use the search function or google flooring saw?If you have to ask that type of question or even ponder installing commercial with a speed square and a circ saw,you shouldnt be installing door knobs let alone flooring.Its just a stupid question,use the internet for goodness sakes

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
^^^ :rolleyes:

On a constructive note, a battery powered circular saw (I.e. Milwaukee brand) and a speed square isn't a terrible way to go about things.

Again. A small miter saw would be enough and would give you credibility with SOME of the users of this forum, is that matters to you.

·
Focusing on solutions.
5,702 Posts
I dont post often but this type of thread really gets to me.Im aware that this is a forum and were all supposed to help each other but cmon man,you couldnt use the search function or google flooring saw?If you have to ask that type of question or even ponder installing commercial with a speed square and a circ saw,you shouldnt be installing door knobs let alone flooring.Its just a stupid question,use the internet for goodness sakes
Damn dude, pull your panties outta the crack of your ass. We all started somewhere. There was a time I didn't even own a miter saw & I made do with what I had till I could afford better.

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
We all start somewhere. Im self taught; I wasnt brought into the business by a third generation builder. If youve ever walked that road youll have patience for some basic questions.

Id be out of business if it wasnt for the wisdom shared by the ct members.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Pinwheel ,ur post is irrelevant.DEPS post didnt mention anything about finances or limitations on what he could afford ,he asked what worked best.I understand i was harsh but i think ignorance is catered to a bit too much these days.

As for "we all started somewhere", no one taught me how to lay wood.I got out of the army two years ago and had no relevant skills in the civilian market,i taught myself by observing other installers and surfing the web when i didnt know how to do something.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Hamburgler said:
Pinwheel ,ur post is irrelevant.DEPS post didnt mention anything about finances or limitations on what he could afford ,he asked what worked best.I understand i was harsh but i think ignorance is catered to a bit too much these days.
Not to get into a pissing contest here, but the guy is looking for some opinions from real life people. I'm sure he can find all sorts of saws on the internet. He just wants to know what people like to use.

I don't like how people jump on someone because they want opinions. It takes more time to get worked up over it, formulate and type out some crap response, than it would to just move on.

I'm not trying to hammer you, but you hammered him, and we're equal opportunity here. :laughing:

EDIT: I think you mean stupidity is catered to too much. Someone's ignorance is a perfect time to help educate them on the things they don't know.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Damn dude, pull your panties outta the crack of your ass. We all started somewhere. There was a time I didn't even own a miter saw & I made do with what I had till I could afford better.
Yeah Ham...,. By the way, this is the internet and this is what google googles!

And I never thought of using my speed square and mini circ.... I got a new idea and I've got plenty of experience....... although I don't like the idea, but in a pinch....

·
Focusing on solutions.
5,702 Posts
Yeah Ham...,. By the way, this is the internet and this is what google googles!

And I never thought of using my speed square and mini circ.... I got a new idea and I've got plenty of experience....... although I don't like the idea, but in a pinch....
Works well in a pinch.

I've had jobs where I knew I was doing nothing but plank replacement. In the shop, I cut the bottom of the groove off on the replacement planks. & when I got to the job with a bag of hand tools, an extension cord & a skill saw, I had all the tools I needed to replace 1-2 planks. Allowed me to drive the car to the job 45 minutes away, instead of having to drag the trailer for a 15 minute job.

BTW, I'm also self taught for the most part & I assure you, I've asked some really stupid questions over the years. Thankfully the old timers were patient with me & answered my stupid questions, with smart answers.

BTW, 2 years in the trades, I was still butchering some pretty fine wood trying to learn on the clients dime.

·
Home Repairs
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)

Thanks Hamburgler. I always "Google" my research with hope of finding forums like this. I stumbled across "Contractor Talk" on Google back when I was researching for my handyman business.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
My tool philosophy is buy the smallest lightest tool that will do 90% of what you encounter really well. I would recommend a small miter saw Makita LS 0714 if your budget allows, the little craftsman 7 1/4" slider is $160 and will handle 2x8".

1 - 20 of 118 Posts