Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is any one using a fat boy pencil from fast cap? If so what kind of pencil sharpener are you using?
I have bought a few and after a couple of sharpenings they are to dull to sharpen the lead. I even bought two nice metal sharpeners from lee valley and they both went dull after about three sharpenings. I tried a couple from staples and they went dull.
Thanks..........nicko

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hmmmm. I guess no one uses a fat boy pencil. Except Leo.
And he is not answering.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts

Attachments

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
free pencils from a lumber truck?????? maybe where you are.. were lucky if we see 6 pencils every 10th delivery.. hardly anyone gives them away here anymore.. gotta buy em

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
maybe a perk of staying loyal to the same lumber yard for 30 years. another perk being when someone asks them to refer a framer they send em our way.

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,205 Posts
woodworkbykirk said:
free pencils from a lumber truck?????? maybe where you are.. were lucky if we see 6 pencils every 10th delivery.. hardly anyone gives them away here anymore.. gotta buy em
Damn my sales rep gives them to me by the box of (I think it's ) 100

Maybe Ill ship you some Jeff!

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
nickko said:
Sharpen both ends? That sounds dangerous. I'd be afraid of stabbing my hand reaching for it.
I do that too, I never grab the wrong end. We had a drought of pencils last winter so I grabbed a box from hd, but I've gotten several boxes from my suppliers since. I've noticed they don't just give them to you any more, you have to ask.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Huh guess my area is t the only area with a drought of pencils. Every time I ask if they have any they're "out"

My cabinet supplier has been the only place that has them anymore, which I wouldn't use them for cabinets but it's better than paying for them. I thought about ordering some with my logo and website on them.
I also buy those 10 packs of #2 pencils from Costco and they last awhile

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,770 Posts
Huh guess my area is t the only area with a drought of pencils. Every time I ask if they have any they're "out"

My cabinet supplier has been the only place that has them anymore, which I wouldn't use them for cabinets but it's better than paying for them. I thought about ordering some with my logo and website on them.
I also buy those 10 packs of #2 pencils from Costco and they last awhile
I have to ask , but I always get a handful from Probuild or Johnson Madison up here, I get the big round ones , lead is softer for steel siding.

·
Registered
818 Posts
They don't give out pencils anymore around here, just hats and stickers.

I buy carpenter pencils by the box of 72 from a teacher supply co., I think it's around $20.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I never in my life had to buy a carpenter's pencil until this past summer. It was embarrassing when I finally broke down, but I got over it. Home Depot sells them for 19 cents, that's about the cheapest I've seen. I also like the fat round pencils that they make for kindergartners.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
I've noticed they don't just give them to you any more, you have to ask.

Back in my days the reps were always giving us stuff for free. I'm not in new production/tract home builds anymore.

Do they still do that? Knife blades,pencils,#2 bits, drywall screwguns(to test) and pencils by the box.

·
Registered
9,177 Posts
I hate the free pencils, garbage pencils. Even the ones from hd are crap.

Buy the Dixon red & black with HARD lead, they're usually around $5 a dozen. The hard lead lasts so much longer, and you're not sharpening it every couple hours. I usually keep 3 in my bags and sharpen them twice a week, sometimes once a week they pay for themselves in time savings. They're also a lot more durable, seems most of the free ones I've gotten are all cracked inside and the lead falls out all the time.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts