Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is any one using a fat boy pencil from fast cap? If so what kind of pencil sharpener are you using?
I have bought a few and after a couple of sharpenings they are to dull to sharpen the lead. I even bought two nice metal sharpeners from lee valley and they both went dull after about three sharpenings. I tried a couple from staples and they went dull.
Thanks..........nicko

·
Registered
1,857 Posts

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
44,681 Posts
woodworkbykirk said:
free pencils from a lumber truck?????? maybe where you are.. were lucky if we see 6 pencils every 10th delivery.. hardly anyone gives them away here anymore.. gotta buy em
Damn my sales rep gives them to me by the box of (I think it's ) 100

Maybe Ill ship you some Jeff!

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
nickko said:
Sharpen both ends? That sounds dangerous. I'd be afraid of stabbing my hand reaching for it.
I do that too, I never grab the wrong end. We had a drought of pencils last winter so I grabbed a box from hd, but I've gotten several boxes from my suppliers since. I've noticed they don't just give them to you any more, you have to ask.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Huh guess my area is t the only area with a drought of pencils. Every time I ask if they have any they're "out"

My cabinet supplier has been the only place that has them anymore, which I wouldn't use them for cabinets but it's better than paying for them. I thought about ordering some with my logo and website on them.
I also buy those 10 packs of #2 pencils from Costco and they last awhile

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
7,124 Posts
Huh guess my area is t the only area with a drought of pencils. Every time I ask if they have any they're "out"

My cabinet supplier has been the only place that has them anymore, which I wouldn't use them for cabinets but it's better than paying for them. I thought about ordering some with my logo and website on them.
I also buy those 10 packs of #2 pencils from Costco and they last awhile
I have to ask , but I always get a handful from Probuild or Johnson Madison up here, I get the big round ones , lead is softer for steel siding.

·
Registered
818 Posts
They don't give out pencils anymore around here, just hats and stickers.

I buy carpenter pencils by the box of 72 from a teacher supply co., I think it's around $20.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I never in my life had to buy a carpenter's pencil until this past summer. It was embarrassing when I finally broke down, but I got over it. Home Depot sells them for 19 cents, that's about the cheapest I've seen. I also like the fat round pencils that they make for kindergartners.

·
Registered
Custom cabinetry
9,178 Posts
I hate the free pencils, garbage pencils. Even the ones from hd are crap.

Buy the Dixon red & black with HARD lead, they're usually around $5 a dozen. The hard lead lasts so much longer, and you're not sharpening it every couple hours. I usually keep 3 in my bags and sharpen them twice a week, sometimes once a week they pay for themselves in time savings. They're also a lot more durable, seems most of the free ones I've gotten are all cracked inside and the lead falls out all the time.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts