Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe it was just me but where are the caps on that?
My thoughts as well when i first discovered this. The gun just shoots staples to hold the foam on. Ive heard of using a wide crown stapler for attaching lathe and maybe shingles, but foam? Would this hold good enough? We usually put our siding on rather quickly after foam.

·
Registered
594 Posts
We work for a builder that used to build 2x4exteriors w/ 1" foam & tyvek. We used wide crown to attach foam just as we use narrow crowns to staple off roofs. The when installing the tyvek, we used cap staplers. Although your foam is 1 1/2", if you use the 2" staple, it would be a fairly close comparison. The only thing i can think of is you might have to turn up your air pressure

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We work for a builder that used to build 2x4exteriors w/ 1" foam & tyvek. We used wide crown to attach foam just as we use narrow crowns to staple off roofs. The when installing the tyvek, we used cap staplers. Although your foam is 1 1/2", if you use the 2" staple, it would be a fairly close comparison. The only thing i can think of is you might have to turn up your air pressure
Thanks for the input, the main reason for my question is im wanting to avoid the high cost of caps. We can only get bostitch caps locally and they come with 1" staples. If i were to purchase a cap nailer i would be spending quite a bit more than just buying a 10k pack of wide crown staples for $80. The thickest foam we would ever install would be the 1 1/2".

·
Registered
594 Posts
We only use cap staplers not nailers. I just read an article in JLC on the hitachi cap nailer and they seemed satisfied with it. Not sure the depth capacity though. Our tool reps say that they dont sell many of them. We use the paslode cap staplers w/ 1 1/2" capacity. They are a pain in the ass but we feel they are the shiniest of all the turds if you know what im sayin. Bottom line: if i were you, i would buy the wide crown

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I read the same article, just so happened right in the middle of a siding job while installing this foam. I have heard great things about the hitachi, but i would have to order the caps online, not a fan of that. Im thinking very seriously about the wide crown, i dont see why it wouldnt hold just fine.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I tuna box or two of caps through the hitachi weekly. Shoots 2" nails. Gun has been reliable. Had to replace the cap assembly once due to a fall. Only buy the hitachi brand caps for it though. I have tried the knock offs and they are nothing but problems.

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
we just use siding nails or plasticap hand nails.. cap nailers are extremely rare here thus finding hte nails is even harder

1 - 13 of 13 Posts