Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Grumpy, back to my roof again. I am going to renail the sheathing to Miami-Dade High Velocity standards (4" everywhere) and was going to install HardiTrim fascia but now I'm concerned about the nail holding ability as it constitutes the perimeter where the sheathing starts to peel off in windy situations. I am now considering polymer deck boards and screwing into that with long SS deck screws.
Any opinions?

·
Dharma Building
81 Posts
Teetor

What about AZEK trim boards. Expensive, but they might do the trick.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I just submitted a request for samples. I plan to do some tests prior to accepting it for use, it's the engineer in me LOL. I also requested their data.
I am a bit concerned as they don't recommend nailing it less than 1/2" from the edge, this would make edge nailing 4/4 a bit of a dicey proposition.
I'll let you know what comes through.
This is the last roof going on this house and it will be right.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That will add a lot to the time but I'm not against it if I get what I want. I am also considering an epoxy bond to the sheathing, watertight and oh so sticky. Jeanne was almost a cat 4, I'm preparing for the worst. When Hugo hit St.Thomas the max windspeed was 231 and the anemometer blew away so no one really knows how bad it was. I want to be more than ready for the next one.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Grumpy, I think that I posted once before on the house that I designed over 20 yrs. ago. Essentially it was a cold moulded boat turned upside down and designed to 'pop' out of the ground and become a survival cell if the storm surge reached a certain level. I even included a bulletproof observatory on top so that I could watch and film the action.
A GC buddy of mine told me that it was too radical and it would never make it through the building dept. I submitted it anyway along with all of the engineering data and my buddy was right. BTW the shell impact resistance =d 12" of cast reinforced concrete.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The Miratec sample arrived today, should have results by the end of the week. I am going to do destructive testing after the screw/nail pull tests and feed all data into a finite element program. Easier done than said.
For all concerned, I can perform all of this in only a day or two. I have medical tests through Wed. which is why the results will be posted later.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts