Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the 1x6 fascia which happens to have a 1x ontop to kick the drip edge out but I noticed that the subnailer at the end is rotted. I dont want to remove the soffit, drip edge, etc, so I was wondering if I could use wood epoxy and build up the corner after using that green water proofing paint. The other piece(missing in pic) will be new with a nice 45 corner. Problem is people toenail the corners and it causes many issues.
Are there any tricks to cut and replace fascia boards in place. I was thinking a long saber saw blade. sawzall blades are too wide.

Attachments

·
Registered
853 Posts
It looks like the sheathing could be rotted as well. Has the leak been fixed?? The only correct repair is to peel things back until you reach the end of the rot. That may involve the first course or two of shingles and the eave flashing. I would do that repair on a time and materials basis.

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,128 Posts
No real way to fix that right by not removing things. Going to be hard to nail new boards on, to much rot only going to be a half way fix trying to do things in place.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
repair

any thoughts on how I can do a vertical cut on the 1x6 to remove it. If I can get a good corner on the 1x6 fascia it might keep the subnailer dry.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
multi tool

Multi tool goes the wrong way. I can use a sawzall to cut the nails holding the fascia, I need to cut the fascia in-place (cross cut). So I was thinking of a 7" sabre saw blade.

·
Been around
1,149 Posts
About twenty minutes with a flat bar and you could remove enough roofing and drip edge to make this whole discussion pointless. On top of that you could replace the fascia perfectly without any need for epoxy or filler or awkward 45 degree cuts

·
Shingler extraordinaire
9,258 Posts
I need to replace the 1x6 fascia which happens to have a 1x ontop to kick the drip edge out but I noticed that the subnailer at the end is rotted. I dont want to remove the soffit, drip edge, etc, so I was wondering if I could use wood epoxy and build up the corner after using that green water proofing paint. The other piece(missing in pic) will be new with a nice 45 corner. Problem is people toenail the corners and it causes many issues.

Are there any tricks to cut and replace fascia boards in place. I was thinking a long saber saw blade. sawzall blades are too wide.
Multi tool and trim screws

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
332 Posts
Why is it rotting is the question? If there is a leak in the hip it needs to be repaired before you put lipstick on that pig.

Don't take this personally. But people usually ask this type of question when they aren't confident in their abilities to do the job right.... I know that's when I fall into this line of thinking. I don't know how to bleed brakes properly so I take a shortcut etc.

If you're not confident in your ability to roof then hire a roofer or learn on youtube, There's no rocket science up there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts