Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installing kitchen cabinets, and customer is interested in a farmhouse sink. Can I modify my standard sink base for this? I am thinking at the very least, I would need to order new doors for the cabinet.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I do it fairly often.

You will most likely need new shorter doors. Other mods to the cabinet will really depend on the sink you choose and the width of your base cabinet. You will need to pull the front, then either install a taller front or just a plain panel cut to fit the sink.

You may need to build a platform to support the sink, or use a sink harness. ( I think Kowboy recommends the harness.I don't know much about those as I'm usually long gone by the time the sink is set).

If you can, try to go for the type of sink that overlaps the cabinets sink front, it's alot easier cutting the front out when you can count on the overlap covering the cut line.

·
Registered
6,766 Posts
Not every farmhouse sink is the same, always double check your measurements both sides because they may have different curves, this is one I did with Leo and it was friggin heavy!
Cabinetry Property Bathroom cabinet Furniture Tap

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Kohler Makes a cast iron apron front sink that fits above the existing cabinet rail. I have used it and there pretty nice.

·
Super Moderator
10,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
These are new cabinets. Had no idea she might want this sink. Might try to remake the doors, and if that fails, I can just order two new ones. These will have quartz tops, so it will definitely undermount.

·
Registered
14,815 Posts
As long as you have the sink it's no big deal doing the rebuild. Hopefully they used pocket screws and no glue to set the top and or mid-rail. Use a plywood deck with cleats to support the sink. Don't forget you need at least 4" between the back of the deck and the back of the cabinet to get the faucet in.

The builder has to bring us the sink very early in the build. We template every sink so it fits just right. Every home we do now has at least one farm sink.

This sink was the only item salvaged from the homes that were knocked down to get the one I was working on built. It right around 100 years old when I reset it.

Tap Plumbing fixture Sink Bathroom cabinet Bathroom sink

Both sides and the bottom were all over the place. You can see in the last picture how much the bottom canted.

Tom

Attachments

·
Registered
12,151 Posts
The only ones I have done were the non overlap ones, they take forever to get perfect. The ceramic is all over the place. I mentioned this last week, when Kohler first started shipping them 1 of 3 were delivered damaged. 4 foam blocks in a cardboard box????? Improve the damn packaging. It took 3 weeks to get another one.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Alot of the RTA cabinet dealers have a farmhouse sink ready sink base cabinet option if it's not too late to just order one. Alot less headache than having to modify a regular sink base cabinet. Just make sure they can provide the sink as well or specs for which exact sinks from other manufacturers will fit their base.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alot of the RTA cabinet dealers have a farmhouse sink ready sink base cabinet option if it's not too late to just order one. Alot less headache than having to modify a regular sink base cabinet. Just make sure they can provide the sink as well or specs for which exact sinks from other manufacturers will fit their base.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
Cabinets arrived yesterday. I think I will likely just make the modification, and order new doors. Thanks to all for the education.

·
Registered
18,079 Posts
Kohler makes a short apron sink you just cut the top rail and a little bit on the sides.

That last one I did
I used 5/4 cleats into the sides with legs in the corners for support.

·
Kowboy
2,952 Posts
Kohler makes a short apron sink you just cut the top rail and a little bit on the sides.

That last one I did
I used 5/4 cleats into the sides with legs in the corners for support.
Here's a Kohler Whitehaven:
Tap Plumbing fixture Bathroom sink Fluid Rectangle

For a sink that heavy, I strongly recommend a Pete's Sink Mount Kit. It's stainless steel, doesn't shrink like wood blocking, remains adjustable, and makes retrofitting a heavy sink a one-man job.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts