Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I dont post often but now looking for advice.
I'm moving to Canada in Dec (the 11th) and I'm torn between building a new place or renovating. I've been looking at hobbie farms and obviously I'm drawn towards the old brick farmhouses. In my price range we are talking about brickwork that is largely beyond repair so if i bought I would be thinking about removing the old brick veneer and then re-build with new brick.
Now over here in the UK I have done this work many times so no problem there but the thing is in Canada I expect it is going to be different ie stick built and prob balloon frame at that.
So what I am looking for at this stage is general advice about what to expect. Is it possible to do what I'm talking about? Will the overall structure of the house be affected? How will I insulate? What will the build inspector be looking for? Or shoould I not even be thinking about these places?
Just to clarify, havent bought yet or even have a particular place in mind just trying to get your thoughts on this one.

Thanks.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have family spread out just about all along the trent severn waterway from Trenton to Collingwood so I have a wide search area. But the place I'm staying is Frankford just a little north of Trenton.

So are you saying that these old houses may well be built with 2 skins of brick and a cavity or just solid brickwork about 9" thick.
I just assumed we would be talking stick built with only a brick veneer.

Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts