Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of finishing my entry. Right now it is temp. supported by 2xs is 14 feet to plate, 10 foot wide and 12inch pich. It has no ply on the gable as of yet. I want and have 6x6 cedar posts to support the 6x8 that support the rafters. What I am looking for is some fancy design or ideas to dress this up using mainly 6x6 because I have many. The only thing I will not do, is arches because there are none on the house. I plan on "by hand" dove tailing all of the necessary parts. I just can't find any cool picks on-line. The front of the house has four other gables with belly bands and cedar shingles. Any help wouls be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Nick Bevans

/\
/ \
/ \
/ \

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
How about scaling down some in the gable, maybe 4x4 or close, then do a sunburst with two cross webs per side and one vertical. You'll need a half moon bay shape at the base of the gable in the center to attach and square the look.

I did that a few years back, although on the bay shape I used 2 quarters and ran the vertical all the way to the collar tie, then glazed glass in it and caped it with alliminum, looked realy tuff. Just thinking it would look really good in post and beams also.

Bob

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I also did that on a "doll house/storage shed entry" a few years back with 4x4. Trying to be original. Not that this is what I am looking for, but in Seaside Or. in a gable wall that was cedar shingle, I saw a pattern of a wave breaking in the center of the gable. Didn't stop to take picture and have regreted it ever since. I have tried to find resources on exterior siding and esp. trim detail and have had limited sucsess. Web sites ?????

Nick

1 - 3 of 3 Posts