Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have 5 false beams I am building out of 1x my problem is I have am running parallel to the rafters in a cathedral ceiling I have no meat to hit. Any ideas besides cutting open the ceiling and adding blocking. I thought of toggle bolts and cutting open the ceiling just where my beam is going and slipping wood blocking just behind the drywall. I really don't want to get into finishing a bunch of butt joints here

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you building a three sided channel? I've done it where I made a three sided "beam" and then toggle bolted and glued a nailer board to the ceiling so the sides would slip over it and then get pinned to the nailer board.
Yes that's what I was planning on doing, but I never used toggles in a ceiling do they preform ok for this application in your opinion?

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Toggles are very strong, don't recall exactly but I think a 1/4" in 1/2" drywall should hold 50# or so each. Couple that with some liquid nails and you should be good to go.

·
Head sawdust creator
1,125 Posts
Years ago, in my own house, I glued some 2x6 to the drywall on the ceiling of my living room to make false beams. I used BLACK STUFF drywall adhesive and just cut some 2x4 braces that were snug from ceiling to bottom of beam to hold them inplace until the glue dried ... no mechanical fasteners!! Been up there now for over 30 years!!

Reactions: Rio

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sweet thanks guys, I know this seems like an amateur question, but for some reason I keep second guessing myself on this one. I kept going back to cutting the ceiling open and adding blocking but that would be a finishing nightmare. I'm going with toggles and glue

·
Always Learning
8,722 Posts
For a quicker install besides toggle bolts or mollies, consider snap toggler's. They are great. Also you could use Toggler's and glue. Just pre-drill to locate the hole in the ceiling, install either, and screw the 2x with glue to the ceiling.

http://www.toggler.com/

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For a quicker install besides toggle bolts or mollies, consider snap toggler's. They are great. Also you could use Toggler's and glue. Just pre-drill to locate the hole in the ceiling, install either, and screw the 2x with glue to the ceiling.

http://www.toggler.com/
That's all I use are the snap toggles I they are an all around easier product to work with.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Hypothetically, you don't install blocking but rather use toggle bolts in hollow ceiling. For some crazy reason, this beam becomes loose and falls and injures someone. Will you have a, "I wish I installed that differently" moment?

Or, would you be like, "there was nothing that I could've done to prevent that."

·
Registered
786 Posts
Are you building a three sided channel? I've done it where I made a three sided "beam" and then toggle bolted and glued a nailer board to the ceiling so the sides would slip over it and then get pinned to the nailer board.
This solution and a generous amount of adhesive is how I'd do it

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
I too use snap toggles for a lot of installs.............But they are very pricey.

Regular toggle bolts will be just as easy and a lot cheaper for this application.

·
Joseph A. Capece
1,811 Posts
Not sure of your location, but here it's common to have strapping running perpendicular to joists, in which case there's something solid to fasten to in both directions.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm highly doubting the idea that their is strapping. The addition I'm putting these beams in was HO built 20 years ago

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Interesting topic , more so because this is exactly what I was doing yesterday, only the project I'm on isn't sheetrocked yet so I was installing blocking.

·
master hacker of wood
2,487 Posts
Snap a line and put 2x glued up a couple finish nails too hold it,

Go home , come back the next day get it done!

Most important thing is too have fun doing it, you could be building a pole barn!!

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
I always try to build for "worst case scenario". I don't know your particular situation, but in the future if someone was to decide to hang something from this beam, crazy as it may sound, it may fail if not secured to something solid. That failure could result in injury. Sometimes the best way is the easiest, but sometimes it's not.

Again, I don't know your particular situation, just -sort-of- playing the devils advocate.

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
Hypothetically, you don't install blocking but rather use toggle bolts in hollow ceiling. For some crazy reason, this beam becomes loose and falls and injures someone. Will you have a, "I wish I installed that differently" moment?

Or, would you be like, "there was nothing that I could've done to prevent that."
Toggles and glue is a good solution that I would stand behind in court. I think most contractors expose themselves to significantly more risk driving to work than the one in 20 million chance that a homeowner is magically impaled by a false box beam.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Toggles and glue is a good solution that I would stand behind in court. I think most contractors expose themselves to significantly more risk driving to work than the one in 20 million chance that a homeowner is magically impaled by a false box beam.
Cathedral ceiling. A homeowner has no business attaching a trapeze or whatever to a beam in a cathedral ceiling. I'd take my day in court, too, and I wouldn't feel guilty about it, either. If someone's designer, or a contractor at some later date, decides to hang a 300lb chandelier, it's their business to make sure the support is sufficient.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts