Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What's wrong with my A/C?
I pulled the access panel off the front of the furnace tonite and there's water cascading down all over the electronics, the burner tubes, the thing that looks like a turbocharger, etc. I turned everything off and the unit is still draining water several hours later. I noticed the uppermost part of the unit (the box that contains the cooling elements?) continues to show condensation on the outside all the way around the bottom, in a band about 2" tall. Is something just clogged? Are the coils encased in ice? What do you think? What steps should I take?

Over the last few weeks I've noticed my A/C having are harder and harder time keeping the house cool. It was cycling on and off oddly and didn't seem to be cooling as well it typically does. Tonite it didn't even seem as if air was moving properly. I was chocking it up to the weather, and maybe the compressor aging, until tonite. The house was 80+ when I got home at 9:00 despite the fact that AC ran all day.

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
I'd check two things: 1) blow out the drain line with air. These "snot up" with certain regularity. 2) check/change the air filter. If it is clogged, it will cut down on airflow and your coil will freeze up as a result. Didn't move any big furniture on top of or in front of any returns, did you?

The other things that will cause your coil to ice up are a low charge (due to a leak) or a metering device that decided to quit metering refrigerant properly. Both of these items would need a tech to check.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts