Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
GC/carpenter
43,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You should be able to buy a "roofers kit".

It comes with a rope, lanyard, harness, and a sliding rope grab.

About 300$ here.
Yeah, since I posted this I saw what seems to be a decent one for around 2 or 300 bucks from White Cap

·
Registered
400 Posts
Sala seems to be the best known brand.

http://www.dbifallprotection.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&Category_id=56

Our local guy has a truck with a little crane thing that simulates falls by dropping weights. It is amazing how much force is generated on the body in just a short fall.

The OSHA standard is a little bit un-attainable, in that it requires an anchor point capable of holding 5,000 pounds (actually 5200, I think). Look around your job and see if there is anything that you would feel good about hanging two and a half tons from.:no:

·
GC/carpenter
43,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sala seems to be the best known brand.

http://www.dbifallprotection.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&Category_id=56

Our local guy has a truck with a little crane thing that simulates falls by dropping weights. It is amazing how much force is generated on the body in just a short fall.

The OSHA standard is a little bit un-attainable, in that it requires an anchor point capable of holding 5,000 pounds (actually 5200, I think). Look around your job and see if there is anything that you would feel good about hanging two and a half tons from.:no:
So is there a number that an average person pulls when they fall?

·
Registered
400 Posts
So is there a number that an average person pulls when they fall?
This guy with the truck, the Sala salesman, rigs up a 200 pound weight and drops it without a de-acceleration device and it registers around 2,000 pounds. With a deacceleration device, it hits around 600 pounds. I think the OSHA standard is 900 pounds.

It's quite eye-opening to see the demonstration. The weight free-falls about 6 feet, which, again, is the OSHA standard.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I got one of the kits in a bucket from ABC for a few hundred bucks. Seems decent. I've only used it a few times and it was comfortable.

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
I rarely do work where a true fall is possible so I have the "kit in a bucket" system but, if I were to be using lifts or framing, I would spend the money to get a deceleration kit as it looks much easier on your body if you take a fall. A dead stop from six feet can really mess you up.

When I'm on a roof I have my kit adjusted to I don't have enough slack to go over the edge.

·
I'm The BOSS
1,904 Posts
Mike,
what are you going to be using it for.

there are different applications for each use,

the fall protection in a bucket is for roofs and other elevated surfaces .

For decks, you could use other methods

·
GC/carpenter
43,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mike,
what are you going to be using it for.

there are different applications for each use,

the fall protection in a bucket is for roofs and other elevated surfaces .

For decks, you could use other methods
I've got a deck coming up with a gnarly 15' drop over some nasty landscape.

·
Registered
400 Posts
For an open edge and 15', I'd recommend a life line and a small retractable. Anything else, and you'll hit the ground.

Let me explain. You're roughly 6' tall and the D ring on your harness is supposed to be between your shoulder blades, so 5' or a little less. A standard lanyard allows a 6' free fall before the deceleration device starts slowing you down, and the rip stop lets out another 3' or so before you stop. That's 14' from where your tied off to. If you're tie-off is low, waist lever or lower, you hit the ground.

But with a small retractable hooked to a cable running parallel with your open edge, you move left and right and not have to worry, because the retractable works like a seat belt and locks up with a quick pull, like a fall.

You are still faced with attaching the life line to an anchorage (on both ends) that will withstand 5,000 pounds, though.

Here's the OSHA standard for personal fall arrest systems. Scroll down to the (d) section:

https://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_id=12759&p_table=STANDARDS

It's dull, but important, reading.

Reactions: Calidecks

·
Registered
808 Posts
I bought one of those safety buckets. Hate the harness. If you do a lot steep roofs buy a better harness with a 5 point attachment. Otherwise it makes doing those roofs 10X harder for the worker that wears it.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts

·
GC/carpenter
43,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I'm looking for a spreader like these, but designed for joists. Either adjustable or for 16 centers.

I'm working on a fall arrest system for my guys. I pretty much no what I'm going to get for the lifeline, but not quite sure what I want to tie them off to. I'm thinking of removing some decking and applying those spreaders. Any opinions?

These are what I have in mind for two guys but they have c to be mounted high I think to work properly

Probably end up using the one timuhler recommended
http://superanchor.com/deluxeLifeline.php

·
Registered
49 Posts
For your application I would probably just go with a beam strap. They are cheap and easy. Just remember that your whole system has to be rated for 5000 pounds per person. You cant hook two reteactables onto one strap if the strap is only rated for 5000 pounds for example.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
I use DBI-Sala harnesses with a DBI rope grab. A decent set cost about $500 for the harness, rope, lanyard, and anchor. If you get the cheap kind in a bucket, they will be uncomfortable and people won't want to use them. They are also hard to adjust around the legs, so if they are not right and you fall, you will be half the man you used to be.

What exactly are you building? Are you trying to tie off rolling joists for a deck?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts