Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Attorney General set up a fake yogurt shop, hired companies to write fake reviews and busted the companies. This shows that the government is concerned and is getting involved with the review process. Everyone should get involved and start writing to whatever government officials we need to write to. If anyone can put a list together that would be nice.

http://m.slashdot.org/story/192007

·
Registered
11,548 Posts
This is stupid. There are much bigger fish to fry so go find some sick twisted SOB that did some horrible crime. I can't believe they spent time to set this up. Another waste of tax payers dollars.
Disagree. This has already become big fish to fry. Supposedly 80% of us all use online reviews to help make decisions. That's why there are companies selling this underhanded "service". Smoke 'em out.

I recently had a little argument over choosing a restaurant. Somebody was quoting Yelp, and it was so obvious it was peppered with phony ones among the thoughtful, believable, balanced ones. Instead, I was accused of "being negative". Still makes me mad because how do you argue that you're "not being negative"? Can't win that one. Yes, I AM skeptical and realistic, as most of us here have learned to be over the years....and I'm proud of being discerning, too. Harumphh.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
Disagree. This has already become big fish to fry. Supposedly 80% of us all use online reviews to help make decisions.
God I hope not, sheep man sheep. No one can think for themselves, or come up with an opinion. You know how many movies I've liked that Mr movie phone has talked chit about. A whole lot

·
Fine Handcrafted Opinions
994 Posts
jlsconstruction said:
God I hope not, sheep man sheep. No one can think for themselves, or come up with an opinion. You know how many movies I've liked that Mr movie phone has talked chit about. A whole lot
Agree 100%. Online reviews for products/movies/restaurants mean jack squat to me. Not even worth reading usually.

Sting was a waste of time and money imo...

·
Banned
4,895 Posts
I just worry about my business and focus on giving over the top service to my customers. Everything else is a distraction.
People sure do put a lot of effort in to things that don't matter. Cheaters eventually get what's coming to them, the problem really isn't fake reviews. Dig deeper and you'll find a dishonest business and that can only happen for so long before they do themselves in. And when the dust settles the last guy standing is the one with the highest character and integrity. After all, that's what customers really want. So just focus on delivering it.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,083 Posts
I'm not sure what the OP is asking for, but I can tell you there are fake slam reviews on real businesses. Then companies specializing in getting bad reviews removed call the business and offer to get the review removed for a fee. They can't actually get the bad review removed, they just post enough fake good reviews to get it down the list.

Anyone think the person giving the fake slam review works for the company that "removes" bad reviews:whistling

·
Registered
11,548 Posts
I would like to think that reviews are not just a bunch of planted propaganda. Even if I do take them with a grain of salt, I still read them.

And even if you don't use them, most everyone else does. So it matters.

I am currently watching a huge remodel that's been going terribly wrong for the homeowners. It's way over the time estimate, and they are burning $$ fixing their own screw-up's on a massive scale. Funny thing is that the licensed-insured contractor has good reviews. Go figure.

·
Registered
11,548 Posts
I just worry about my business and focus on giving over the top service to my customers. Everything else is a distraction.
People sure do put a lot of effort in to things that don't matter. Cheaters eventually get what's coming to them, the problem really isn't fake reviews. Dig deeper and you'll find a dishonest business and that can only happen for so long before they do themselves in. And when the dust settles the last guy standing is the one with the highest character and integrity. After all, that's what customers really want. So just focus on delivering it.
Or I can just write my own reviews that say "I have the highest character and integrity".

·
Banned
4,895 Posts
I think the general public is starting to become weary of the review thing. Especially, when they are all positive.
They will never be leary of reviews, just written reviews by search engines. And this is why I have always been an advocate of developing a system of WOM. Word of mouth is a review, reviews have been around since the earth cooled.

Ultimately, the search engines and listing services will pay the price and given enough time they will correct it. Things have a way of evolving and problems eventually get solved. It just takes time. What we are experiencing is the very early stages of the evolution on written reviews. 5 years from now it will look nothing like it does today.

In fact, I'd be willing to bet there's a person/company right this moment working to solve this obvious problem with the review procedure. What do you and I do in the meantime?

Old school. Early to bed, early to rise, work like hell and advertise.

·
Registered
11,548 Posts
Lol, I missed the joke......I get it now.
Ok, but it wasn't exactly a joke! This is what's going on with all this review stuff. Not only do many places puff up their own, but others will trash their competition for sport. It's just too easy NOT to do it.

Now add to that the growing BUSINESS around doing so, and that's where we are at. We can be the best at what we do, but a jealous competitor can bypass all that honest hard work with this cheap/dirty form of marketing. Bad work might catch up with someone in a small town, but maybe not in a metro area. There you can just keep on rolling. New blood every day.

·
Banned
4,895 Posts
Ok, but it wasn't exactly a joke! This is what's going on with all this review stuff. Not only do many places puff up their own, but others will trash their competition for sport. It's just too easy NOT to do it.

Now add to that the growing BUSINESS around doing so, and that's where we are at. We can be the best at what we do, but a jealous competitor can bypass all that honest hard work with this cheap/dirty form of marketing. Bad work might catch up with someone in a small town, but maybe not in a metro area. There you can just keep on rolling. New blood every day.
I understand completely Mark, and small towns are not exempt. Not at all.

The question is once again, what do we do? We find ourselves back to were we started. I can't control the competition buy I can out smart them.

I only worry about what I can personally control.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
The Attorney General set up a fake yogurt shop, hired companies to write fake reviews and busted the companies. This shows that the government is concerned and is getting involved with the review process. Everyone should get involved and start writing to whatever government officials we need to write to. If anyone can put a list together that would be nice.

http://m.slashdot.org/story/192007
If there's anything that really fries my hide, it's an over-rated yogurt shop.

·
Banned
4,895 Posts

I understand completely Mark, and small towns are not exempt. Not at all.

The question is once again, what do we do? We find ourselves back to were we started. I can't control the competition buy I can out smart them.

I only worry about what I can personally control.

·
Banned
4,895 Posts
It's an interesting topic really, it doesn't bother me in the least bit but I find it interesting how dishonest people can ho home and be fine with how they conduct business. And let's face it, people get away with it and they can even build a great business around dishonesty. They can even retire wealthy. Just look at Washington politics.

But for me personally it feels pretty good to face my wife and kids st the dinner table and tell them I'm doing everything I can to do the right thing. I want my kids to be honest and I need to set that example in not only my actions but my heart.

I have to deal with these dishonest people just like everybody else. How do I do that?

Character and integrity in action is how, never underestimate that. I was in 2 newspapers last week in articles that had nothing to do with plumbing. That type of exposure will beat written reviews 100 to 1. I was in the newspaper because i stepped outside my daily routine and did something I felt was nice. I didn't do it for the business I did it because it was the right thing to do. I've been in the newspaper a few times this year and none of it had to do with plumbing but all of it had to do with character and integrity. Even my kids get involved.

People pay attention to actions, not just words. If you act and behave in a good way this life will reward you.

Lastly, and this is a big one. When a contractor screws up there's consequences. That home owner won't be calling him/her again but they will be calling somebody. Who is gonna be that "somebody"? I'll gladly be that second guy.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts