Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Stone Guy
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I'm looking at a stucco re-pair. About 8 sq ft of stucco just fell off the other evening.

I was wondering what caused this failure. Poor bond between brown coat and final coat? House shifting? (it's an addition, a single room on posts. Less than 10 years old.). Freezing conditions during application?

I chipped off a bit of each layer and took them home. They sat outside for a few days. We've had some rain in the past week. Now the undercoat pieces that I removed have crumbled somewhat on their own--and crumble further into dust when I handle them--that indicate frozen temps during application, right? The material was rock hard when i removed it from the house, and now that it's gotten wet it's soft. IME, that=cold.

Agree/disagree?

·
General Contractor
8,111 Posts
So I'm looking at a stucco re-pair. About 8 sq ft of stucco just fell off the other evening.

I was wondering what caused this failure. Poor bond between brown coat and final coat? House shifting? (it's an addition, a single room on posts). Freezing conditions during application?

I chipped off a bit of each layer and took them home. They sat outside for a few days. We've had some rain in the past week. Now the undercoat pieces that I removed have crumbled somewhat on their own--and crumble further into dust when I handle them--that indicate frozen temps during application, right? The material was rock hard when i removed it from the house, and now it's soft. IME, that=cold.

Agree/disagree?
The probable cause could be extended exposure to moisture, because moisture will eventually deteriorate the stucco...The moisture probably wicked behind the stucco and if there is no weep screed at the bottom of stucco walls, the water gets trapped and slowly starts to deteriorate the stucco causing to fall off.
Also like you said, house movement during seasonal changes makes stucco to crack and water will penetrate the surface through these cracks and after a while it will cause the damage behind, causing stucco to crumble and become lose.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
My guess would be a poor mix.

Hard to tell from the pictures but that looks very white, which would lead me to believe very lime rich and portland lean.

Usually scratch coat goes up so fast it doesn't get re tempered.

Where are you located?

·
Registered
677 Posts
It looks like the stucco ( it's called parging here) sticks out past the ledge of the window, water is probably pissing down the window and over time has found its way in behind the stucco, it has froze, expanded and then caused it to fall off.
Plus the stucco is rough as hell, lots of places for water to sit, could be a factor too.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Nature of Product and producer notoriety is critical. Yet likewise, material accreditations, lead times, and responsiveness. Some bigger organizations may have an incredible item with an extraordinary organization notoriety, yet not have the client administration,

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.