Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started this job today and just wanted to share some facts that may influence certain material use and application techniques.

Product and application
This is a seamless Vinyl-coated Aluminum product.
Hung with j-clips 24"-30"OC with 2" aluminum nails,over 8" claps.
There is a 1" expanded polystyrene backer.
It's only about 15 years old.
Don't know the manufacture.

Failure
1)To start,the siding had become unlocked and caught by the wind a few yeary ago.HO faced nailed the loose panels to keep them in place.

2)The finish on the panels is delaminating/peeling down to raw aluminum.
If you take a piece of the siding or trim and bend it slightly the finish will pop off.

Reasons for application failure
Probably a combination of:
Legnth of nails
Clips too far apart
No lateral stregnth from the foam to support the nails that did reach solid nailing.

Suspected Reasons for Siding failure
Mismatch of material combination.
Finish has become brittle from age.
Different expansion and contraction rate of finish and aluminum.

After seeing this,I probably won't reccomend PVC coil in the future and will add extra nailing when going over any 1" insulation.Instead of 16"oc,I'd reccomend 12"oc.

I'm including a few pics.

You can also see the shrinkage on the insulation.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
I had a job 15 years ago where the PVC delaminated also. It was on coil stock.
I think if I remember correctly, that is a sign of the aluminun not being cleaned properly. It still made me not to ever use the product again.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a job 15 years ago where the PVC delaminated also. It was on coil stock.
I think if I remember correctly, that is a sign of the aluminun not being cleaned properly. It still made me not to ever use the product again.:thumbsup:
It's the first time I saw this delamination,other than when it was over PT lumber or when near driveways and sidewalks where salt was used in the winter.

The problem seems worse on the southern and western side of the house.The north side is covered with mold and has never been cleaned,just a couple of small spots there.

·
Registered
178 Posts
We havent used PVC coated trim coil in at least 10 or 12 years becasue of delaminating. No one ever gave us an answer why it delaminated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts