Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Interior Renovations
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to purchase a few new tools that my company really needs, though I am on a pretty tight budget. Im sure many of you have purchased tools that have been factory refurbished. Are the savings and quality worth it or should I invest a little more and just buy new? How are the warranties usually? Im looking for a good quality table saw, sliding miter saw and some air tools. I will shop around next week when I find some retailers, just want to see if its worth it.

Thanks.

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
I have a Milwaukee hammer drill that was factory referb..It looked new when I got it and works great.

·
Jeff
1,485 Posts
12 years ago i bought a refurb milwaukee circular saw and sawzall. Use both on almost a daily basis and only replaced cord because it got zinged and the quick change thing on the sawzall. Bought a refurbed rigid cordless and only got 8 months out of it though.

·
Sawdust Sweeper
690 Posts
I bought some hitachi refurbs about 4-5 years ago, an electric planer, jigsaw, 2hp router fixed/plunge kit and they are all still plugging along well. I had to replace the plastic blade release lever on the jigsaw but other than that all has been well.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I also own a few.
No problems and saved big bucks.
Alot of these tools now come from box store returns where a HO bought the tool with the full intention of returning it after his job was done.
At least that is what I have heard.

·
Interior Renovations
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everybody. I will be looking this week at a few places. I have about $2000 worth of (new) tools I want to pick up and if I can cut that price significantly by getting the refurbished tools I will be very, very happy.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Kelly, I justt noticed that you were in NYC.
Check Metropolitan hardware. They usually have a nice selection fo refurbished tools. That is where I bought mine.
There MSRP is a crock but the actual prices on the refurbs are pretty good.

Locations: http://toolslikenew.com/location.php

·
Registered
738 Posts
I also have a few refurbed tools, got the same warrenty as a new tool with them.
only complaint I have is a Bosch radio/cd player( most important tool on the job)
I bought refurbed. only reason I bought it was for the cd player so I didnt have to listen to the same songs on the radio play over and over all day.
CD player only worked good untill the warrenty ran out. now it plays when it wants to.
couldnt be all the saw dust caked in it could it......

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
I also have a few refurbed tools, got the same warrenty as a new tool with them.
only complaint I have is a Bosch radio/cd player( most important tool on the job)
I bought refurbed. only reason I bought it was for the cd player so I didnt have to listen to the same songs on the radio play over and over all day.
CD player only worked good untill the warrenty ran out. now it plays when it wants to.
couldnt be all the saw dust caked in it could it......
Those things are pretty sensitive to dust and what not...Drywall dust has been the demise of more that one jobsite cd player.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Get the little Makita LXT radio and put ya mp3 player inside it. Been doing this for the last 2 and a bit years and the radio and mp3 player is still going strong. The thing has taken a beating from anything from sea walter, sand, water and chemicals and it sounds as good as new. They sound very good as well.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Toolking.com is the best place to go.
steve

Get the little Makita LXT radio and put ya mp3 player inside it. Been doing this for the last 2 and a bit years and the radio and mp3 player is still going strong. The thing has taken a beating from anything from sea walter, sand, water and chemicals and it sounds as good as new. They sound very good as well.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have been ordering reconditioned tools for years. Tool King is a great place with wide selection of reconditioned tools. For reconditioned Hitachi tools try
http://www.reconditionedsales.com/

I have also ordered a bunch of reconditioned tools from the different CPO online stores. (CPO Bosch, Porter Cable, etc).

I have always had great luck with recon tools. I always look for reconditioned tools first rather than new. One for the price savings and because any common problems already happened and are fixed. My experience has been they are more reliable than new. Your mileage may vary.

·
The Deck Guy
3,126 Posts
I buy recon whenever I can instead of new.

#1 the warranty is the same.
#2 the price is generally less.
#3 a human has actually processed and/or "touched" a recon tool meaning it's been inspected or PM'd. You don't get that when they come fresh off the line.
#4 Only bought one recon that you could tell was used. Who cares? I don't polish my tools!!!

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Refurb is a great way to go. I did notice, however, that Milwaukee only gives you a 1 year warranty on refurbs, unlike a 5 year warranty on their new products. I don't know if that is a recent change, or if other manufacturers are following suit. The Milwaukee Sawzall I purchased worked great, though. Looked almost brand new. Just a few minor scratches, and no signs of saw dust.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts