Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Pro or somethin'...
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In this area, most of the fascia is aluminum. Some guys hand nail it with aluminum nails; some guys screw it with #8x 1 1/2 screws. The screws theoretically eat the aluminum; the nails fall out. What do you do?

·
water re-locater
7,511 Posts
Anthill said:
In this area, most of the fascia is aluminum. Some guys hand nail it with aluminum nails; some guys screw it with #8x 1 1/2 screws. The screws theoretically eat the aluminum; the nails fall out. What do you do?
Stainless steel trim nails. Screws through the rake that everyone can see? Maybe on the wall of shame thread

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
The stainless steel nails I use are ring shank. I've not noticed them coming loose so far. What I do see is fascia on the rake, that has no nails underneath. The wind hits the side of the building and rolls out under the soffit. When it does, it pulls the fascia out, just a little each time. Over 20 years the nails have been pulled out and the piece comes off.

To answer the question, face nail and put nails underneath through the 1" lip of the fascia. On the eave, I still put some nails going up, but more for consistency. I think the gutter does a fine job of keeping the wind from loosening nails.

·
Registered
199 Posts
We tried stapling as a temporary hold but the staples are not worth anything on aluminum. We always nail on the bottom and one on the face about every 2ft.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I use stainless ring shank nails under neath then touch them up with matching touch up paint.
The nails I use are two inch split less siding nails that have a small flat head. If there's gutter I just face nail with 1 1/4 color match stainless trim nails.
Nicko

·
Pro or somethin'...
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've never seen stainless nails used. Always those stupid aluminum ones. Sounds like it would be much better. But you are still handnailing? I would likely destroy all my fascia with missed hammer strokes, especially up from the bottom. I've also never face nailed- top edge under roof edge, color matched screws every 2 ft up from the bottom. It seems to work. Its interesting to know how others do it.

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,799 Posts
I staple all my soffit, unless it is a ceiling area then it gets screwed and paint touchup. Fascia gets nailed up from the the bottom with a #5 Gal or SS nail touched up. Rarely buy prepainted nails , they still need touched up to look nice. Pretty much only face nail at the laps , cornors and at peak. Been doing it this way for close to 20 years and have not had any come off.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Stainless steel ring shank nails from the bottom up every 16" never had a problem with then coming loose. My supplier stocks painted nails in all of their soffit colors.

·
I'm The BOSS
1,904 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
It looks like water could travel under the shingles and get behind the facia in the second pic where there is no drip edge.
Nicko

·
Pro or somethin'...
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
:biggrin: thanks. I can see that saving my trims. And Tom, nice trims, BUT, I live in a different world that doesn't seem to have clients that are willing to pay me a buck a minute to bend fancy fascia pieces and get all customy. (would be fun tho). almost all of the run of the mill houses here get standard pre built lumberyard aluminum fascia with standard lumberyard aluminum prebuilt vented soffit. It seems like things like rake trims, mimicking old styles, etc has never caught on here. I think it would drive the housing cost to insane and its just not worth it to the general public.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts