Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Face/blind nailing

5K views 31 replies 11 participants last post by  JBrzoz00 
#1 ·
What size nails is recommended to face/blind nail 3/4" hardwood??

I have a 18ga nailer but are those nails too small?

#9 ·
Thats what I usually do. Where you can no longer swing the mallet to set the nail and if I cant get the finish gun to shoot a nail through the tongue I dry-fit the last few rows together then face nail where the base or quarter round covers.

Dont know if there are a pros' or con's to this method but never had a call back or problem doing it this way.

#18 ·
I've taken up stuff that had been down for fifty years and was barely nailed at all. 2-1/4, of course.

I skip one row. The row next to the last row I can blind nail is held down by the first row I top nail. I only do it for the sake of making fewer holes. Thing is, I've taken up so much stuff that was apparently held together with urethane, and you'd never know it unless you ripped it up.

#28 ·
Yeah, but that's true of any glue stick. That Koolglide deal is pretty neat, but not a panacea. To me, the most important thing about finishing walls is to lay out the long straight stuff to do it with. If you've done that, finishing a wall is faster than starting off of one if you have a jack.

#29 ·
Agreed, I always pull out long, straight boards for starting and finishing as soon as the boxes start getting opened. If it's an area over 12-15' or so, depending on layout, I pop a line and start in the middle and start racking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.