Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
I heard that the Toyota pick-ups are made in the U.S. and exported to Japan.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I bought my 08 tundra after MUCH shopping. I had come down to the dodge and the tundra, and bought the tundra after the salesman showed me the way they built the frame. They had a full size truck on a rotisserie and it was really amazing to see. I tow a Race car with it, 24' enclosed topped out at 10k pounds. I do use an equalizing hitch, but for the most part she doesn't even act like its there. Very impressive. Recently I added air ride bags with an on board compressor. It really is more of a luxury than a necessity but I like trick ****. I saw the redesigned face of the new Tundra and cant say I like it much. But the Truck is and has been awesome.

Have to admit the ford commercials have me noticing them, but my next vehicle purchase isn't the Pickup, it will be time to replace the work truck (currently a 99 Chevy cutaway with 12' spartan service body)
I agree 100%. I bought my '08 Tundra double cab with tow package 4wd new in dec '08. I now have 180,000 miles on it with NO problems. It is by gar the best truck ever. Hard to swallow $30,000, but it was well worth it. Buying another one next year. I tow 16' trailer with a power washer and water tank + 18' flat bed with material or bob cat + have a 8'x12' enclosed tool trailer. Never any problems. Going to add air bags with on board compressor.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
TAHomeRepairs said:
American= American owned, not assembled! That leaves Chevy gmc and ford!!!! Why send profits overseas???? Just sayin.........
Chevy/ gm is a china product, have you knocked on a chevy bumper or quarter panel lately? All plastic and tin! I've had them all and after 4-5 years of ownership american made vehicles become troublesome and there value is no where near toyota!
A toyota 2007 with 120k miles is still upwards of $20k I was looking at a 08 tundra with 80k on the clock and the guy wouldn't budge under $25k so a 2013 for under $34 out the door is a no brainer! Even with 2.9 financing it's still a brand new truck and a lot of muscle for under $36k

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Not sure what area your in but around here they don't get anywhere near that. They sell used for less than rams sell for. Few weeks ago one of The guys at the warehouse was looking at a lifted 2007 chevy LT 4x4 and a 2007 tundra sr5 4x4 both had just a hair over 100k miles and the chevy was $600 more at $14800. I think price is more of a area thing more than "going rates" another good friend just bought a 2013 fx4 for $6k less than a local 2012 lariat because we drove 3hrs out of town. Both were from dealers too.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 · (Edited)
BCConstruction said:
Not sure what area your in but around here they don't get anywhere near that. They sell used for less than rams sell for. Few weeks ago one of The guys at the warehouse was looking at a lifted 2007 chevy LT 4x4 and a 2007 tundra sr5 4x4 both had just a hair over 100k miles and the chevy was $600 more at $14800. I think price is more of a area thing more than "going rates" another good friend just bought a 2013 fx4 for $6k less than a local 2012 lariat because we drove 3hrs out of town. Both were from dealers too.
I'm in central nj between Rutgers and Princeton university, here's a good example look all the way on the bottom a 2004 is almost $10k with 180000 miles lol

image-4139931601.jpg

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Five Star said:
I'm in central nj between Rutgers and Princeton university, here's a good example look all the way on the bottom a 2004 is almost $10k with 180000 miles lol
Yeah that's high if he gets his asking price. Around here your prob around $8-8.5k before knocking them down a bit. mate just traded his 1998 XLT that was pretty beat up with 160k miles for $5500. there's not a lot of people drive tundras around these parts though. I knew one guy who was a rep who had one he sold it and bought a f150 and one of the other guys at the warehouse just traded his dodge and bought a tundra. That's the only 2 people I know with them. there's more titans around here.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 · (Edited)
CarrPainting said:
So let me get this straight.... You spent $36,000 on a new truck, and all we get is one crappy picture?! :mad:
So far yes, it's going next week to get a back up camera put in! Ill get some pics up soon. I really love having power again, that 380 hp is so exhilarating

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
B.D.R. said:
Sorry guy's, but I like my Dodge. :thumbsup:
I almost went for the 8spd dodge but the nightmares of my 97 ram sport quickly came back and slapped me back into reality

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Poking for some feed back trying to pull the trigger while the interest rates are zero.

So far I test drove all the half tons, new silverados are nice but I'm not a fan of the electronic cylinder deactivation just seams like future problem up the rd.

So I'm between a ecoboost v6, or 5.0 and the 5.7 2014 tundra.

Looking for some pros and cons from mpg to towing and comfort?
Hey Buddy Happy New Year! Get the toyota. You'll never regret it. I have a Land Cruiser from 1997 and still flawless.

·
Registered
17 Posts
So far yes, it's going next week to get a back up camera put in! Ill get some pics up soon. I really love having power again, that 380 hp is no exhilarating
I LOVE my backup camera! My 08 Tundra has the 5.7 in it. Tons of power. 1st year I drove from Kansas to California coast pulling a 16' tandem axle trailer through Colorado and got 18 mpg. Coming back had osb 4' sides on it completely full of my brother-in-laws stuff (moved. Refrig, washer/dryer/couch) and took same route back and got 17 mpg. Going 5 over even up hills. I was sold. It's been a great truck. I don't have anything against other brands, but Toyota takes it a step above to fix problems at factory, then to throw them out and send tons of factory recalls like Ford. But Ford's are comfortable, too.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
rayco said:
I LOVE my backup camera! My 08 Tundra has the 5.7 in it. Tons of power. 1st year I drove from Kansas to California coast pulling a 16' tandem axle trailer through Colorado and got 18 mpg. Coming back had osb 4' sides on it completely full of my brother-in-laws stuff (moved. Refrig, washer/dryer/couch) and took same route back and got 17 mpg. Going 5 over even up hills. I was sold. It's been a great truck. I don't have anything against other brands, but Toyota takes it a step above to fix problems at factory, then to throw them out and send tons of factory recalls like Ford. But Ford's are comfortable, too.
Come on lets stay in reality here. I just spoke to the warehouse guy and he said he gets 17highway with his tundra and 10-12mpg towing the 16ft trailer and the same on his camper. which is what I would expect on the 5.7. We both know you ain't getting. 18 mpg towing a trailer lol

Also let's stay in reality for the recalls too. Let's use my mates 2009 tundra and my 2009 f150 as an example.

F150 2 recalls http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2009/ford/f_150/recalls/

Tundra 8 recalls
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2009/toyota/tundra/recalls/

Don't forget the f150 in 2009 was a brand new truck so problems were expected but even the 2 issues there were only affected a small amount of trucks. Toyotas are known for numerous recalls as they cover **** up and deny it until they get made to make a recall.

Ok we are back to reality

·
Registered
17 Posts
Come on lets stay in reality here. I just spoke to the warehouse guy and he said he gets 17highway with his tundra and 10-12mpg towing the 16ft trailer and the same on his camper. which is what I would expect on the 5.7. We both know you ain't getting. 18 mpg towing a trailer lol

Also let's stay in reality for the recalls too. Let's use my mates 2009 tundra and my 2009 f150 as an example.

Tundra 8 recalls

Don't forget the f150 in 2009 was a brand new truck so problems were expected but even the 2 issues there were only affected a small amount of trucks. Toyotas are known for numerous recalls as they cover **** up and deny it until they get made to make a recall.

Typical contractor - Calling people a liar.

I didn't say the mpg was typical or that 17-18 is what I get now. Just that's what I got on that trip when it was new.

My 08 has had 3 recalls that I know of. None were major.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
BCConstruction said:

Tundra 8 recalls

I'm not a brand hater, I did my home work this time around! I love my 06 lariat , loved my 99 Tahoe, loved my 97 ram sport till it hit 50k though it was all down hill from there lol!!!😤
I'm not towing day in day out,, but I like to know if I need to I'm covered, and the fact that I can get most of the amenity s for under $35k in a brand new truck was a no brainier, I don't plan on living in the truck and if I'm going to a supply house or the cheapo I don't need lariat or platinum package!
All the fords and Chevys are great trucks but there incentives are not great 14 tundra like I got is like 34k with 0% for 3 years that's free money !!
I got the 2013 at 2.9 but I plan in knocking it out in a year or so or it things keep going good might trade up in 2015/16 and know that my truck is still in the high 20s

41 - 60 of 63 Posts