Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Poking for some feed back trying to pull the trigger while the interest rates are zero.

So far I test drove all the half tons, new silverados are nice but I'm not a fan of the electronic cylinder deactivation just seams like future problem up the rd.

So I'm between a ecoboost v6, or 5.0 and the 5.7 2014 tundra.

Looking for some pros and cons from mpg to towing and comfort?

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Fourth Tundra CrewMax in no problems. Around town average speed 34 MPH I hover at 14.2 MPG. Get on the highway at 75 It gets 15's and only hit 16 once when I was in Florida last winter.

My buddy has a Ecoboost and he gets 15 around town 18 highway.

Currently, the 150's are last in the updated category and just imagine how much a Turbo repair will be.

·
Finishing Carpenter
1,332 Posts
I have an '07 F150 lariat, 5.4 triton. I get between 10-14 mpg (imperial) and about 17-18 on the highway.

I have a buddy who just bought a 2014 F150, 5 litre. I asked him why he didn't spring for the eco-boost, he told me that (he was told by the sales guy) the eco boost would only save him 2 mpg. He is also worried about future repairs with the turbo.

One of the guys that I used to work with has a 2011 F150 eco-boost, and he loves it. He said that he's getting an extra 150 kilometers per tank.

So I dunno! my truck is expensive to fill up, but I sure love having that power when I need it :)

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mrmac204 said:
I have an '07 F150 lariat, 5.4 triton. I get between 10-14 mpg (imperial) and about 17-18 on the highway.

I have a buddy who just bought a 2014 F150, 5 litre. I asked him why he didn't spring for the eco-boost, he told me that (he was told by the sales guy) the eco boost would only save him 2 mpg. He is also worried about future repairs with the turbo.

One of the guys that I used to work with has a 2011 F150 eco-boost, and he loves it. He said that he's getting an extra 150 kilometers per tank.

So I dunno! my truck is expensive to fill up, but I sure love having that power when I need it :)
I also had a 06 lariat with the 5.4 it was a great combo, the power was def worth the 2 mpg less!

What I'm noticing and reading though on some of the forums is that the 5.7 is averaging 12-14 mpg which in reality is decent for a huge v8 like that also the tundra has unveil able resale power, even on Craigslist a 2012-13 is $36 and up, as a cpo at a dealer
A 2013 cpo f150 with 15k miles is $31k that's $8-9k less than a 2013 left over

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
To be fair, full size trucks are really similar and reliable. It's what you feel like behind the wheel. I'm a big guy at 6'-5" and 250 lbs the tundra has a nice wide feel to it, as does the Titan. The Fords I feel almost top heavy in- tall and narrow. I know it's ridiculous because like I said before they are all so close in dimensions.

The Chevy and Dodge feel low, at least to me.

I am not yet a fan of the new style Tundra.

The new style Chevy is the best looking truck IMO and I for one am looking forward to the HD in the new style.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
A couple weeks back i went truck shopping with a mate. test drove a few models and he ended up with the ecoboost f150. It has way too many pro's over other trucks to consider the others.

Take them all for a test drive and if you walk away without a ford i will be very surprised.

Hes getting 22mpg highway and no idea around town.

If your looking at new though i would maybe wait for the "atlas" f150. the current f150 already has better options and specs than the other brands so the new model will blow them out the water.

Oh yeah the Chevys ride like crap :laughing:

I should add all these trucks were 2014's

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
A couple weeks back i went truck shopping with a mate. test drove a few models and he ended up with the ecoboost f150. It has way too many pro's over other trucks to consider the others.

Take them all for a test drive and if you walk away without a ford i will be very surprised.

If your looking at new though i would maybe wait for the "atlas" f150. the current f150 already has better options and specs than the other brands so the new model will blow them out the water.

I knew your opinion before you looked at your keyboard Lol

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BCConstruction said:

The atlas I'm sure is gonna be way over $50k
A tundra sr5 4x4 double cab is $33k it's a lot of truck for the money

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Five Star said:
The atlas I'm sure is gonna be way over $50k A tundra sr5 4x4 double cab is $33k it's a lot of truck for the money
Big difference between them though. Get into a 2014 tundra and then a 2014 f150 and you will soon see why they cost more.

But really if I was you I would wait just a couple weeks as the atlas is revealed at the Detroit auto show.

I have been hearing rumors of a smaller ecoboost as must people don't need the current models HP and TQ and it may even be coming with a 10speed transmission plus lots of other goodies.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I have a 2007 4.7L tundra and am very happy with it. Haven't had to spend a dollar on it yet. At the time you could get an F150 for a chunk less, but then resale was a lot less too. Holding value is always a nice thing but it has to be balanced by a reasonable starting price of course. When you sell a tundra on CL here there are a couple dozen, whereas there are over a 100 F150s so it's hard to sell the ford for a good price as there's always someone willing to sell for less.

If I were to be really hard on the tundra:
-the bed is a bit bouncy. Trucks always are but I'm pretty sure others might be better.
-the gas pedal is a little too sprung. So if, for example, you're going over bumps the combination can cause you to bounce the pedal where a soft pedal would be easier to hold still.
-the transmission sometimes has what I've seen referred to as a "lag and lurch" feel. They were talking about the Toyota Sienna but I've found the same in the Tundra. Basically if you're slowing for a red and the light changes when you press the pedal there's a delay (lag) and then a sudden kick in (lurch). Happens in other vehicles too.

These are not as bad as they sound and not really too noticeable but I'm trying to be very critical and it's difficult to think of anything I don't like about the truck. You could also easily test these during a test drive. Different and newer models may not have these.

Hope that helps, and are you getting rid of your Sprinter? If so can you (thoroughly) describe why you would drop the van/sprinter set up?

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Northwood said:
I have a 2007 4.7L tundra and am very happy with it. Haven't had to spend a dollar on it yet. At the time you could get an F150 for a chunk less, but then resale was a lot less too. Holding value is always a nice thing but it has to be balanced by a reasonable starting price of course. When you sell a tundra on CL here there are a couple dozen, whereas there are over a 100 F150s so it's hard to sell the ford for a good price as there's always someone willing to sell for less. If I were to be really hard on the tundra: -the bed is a bit bouncy. Trucks always are but I'm pretty sure others might be better. -the gas pedal is a little too sprung. So if, for example, you're going over bumps the combination can cause you to bounce the pedal where a soft pedal would be easier to hold still. -the transmission sometimes has what I've seen referred to as a "lag and lurch" feel. They were talking about the Toyota Sienna but I've found the same in the Tundra. Basically if you're slowing for a red and the light changes when you press the pedal there's a delay (lag) and then a sudden kick in (lurch). Happens in other vehicles too. These are not as bad as they sound and not really too noticeable but I'm trying to be very critical and it's difficult to think of anything I don't like about the truck. You could also easily test these during a test drive. Different and newer models may not have these. Hope that helps, and are you getting rid of your Sprinter? If so can you (thoroughly) describe why you would drop the van/sprinter set up?
Thanks north wood, that helps, I'm getting a pickup for personal/part time hauling a trailer not for the business 100% I did the economical thing for 3 yrs and feel the need to be in a pick up again, sometimes I just need to pick stuff up and drop it off.
No the sprinter is staying it's been paid off for many years so it doesn't owe me a cent, I might take it to macco for a paint job though the paint is seeing better days haha, the only prob with the sprinter is there is no towing capacity and I don't want to blow a trans in it it's expensive to fix, so I figured a pick up will pick up that part of the business the rest is for kids sports and trips

Reactions: Northwood

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
My buddy has a 2010 4 door Tundra. Sweet looking rig with 35's and a lift, blacked out. It feels cheap to me whenever I'm in it, though it runs well. He loves it, but I prefer GMs. To each his own.

·
Read Only
16,993 Posts
I have a 2007 4.7L tundra...
-the transmission sometimes has what I've seen referred to as a "lag and lurch" feel. They were talking about the Toyota Sienna but I've found the same in the Tundra. Basically if you're slowing for a red and the light changes when you press the pedal there's a delay (lag) and then a sudden kick in (lurch). Happens in other vehicles too.
Of the several 4wd 1/2t GMC pickups I've owned/own, all of them do similar. They upshift when backing off the throttle slightly, and then when you need to get moving a little, they seem determined to stay in that higher gear until you press the pedal enough with nothing happening - and lurch ahead. Just had that happen to me in town, while cop was waiting on side street - I do believe he gave serious thought to pulling me over to ask "what's yer rush bub?".

You kind of have to buy Big 3 around here, or risk getting excessive "parking lot rash" - ifn ya know what I mean...

·
Registered
210 Posts
I got a new F150 last year, I like it. I didn't get a ecoboost, I didn't find it to be worth the extra $. I like a simple V8 and I am getting 17.6mpg.

My boss had trouble with his F250, he just got a 2014 Silverado, its nice but I like the F150s a bit better.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I traded my 07 f150 in for a 09 tundra. Best decision ever. But now I drive a chevy. The Ford didnt have the power that the tundra did. They were both 4 dr and the tundras cab was much bigger. I think the bed was a little smaller though. They were both small though.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts