Pullin donuts with the plane

·
Registered
117 Posts
Sweeeeeet!!! never seen that before..amazing

·
solar guy
1,917 Posts
If you think about how a plane steers with the nose wheel, that's just insane!
Most planes particularly the f18 do not steer with the nose wheel. above the rudder pedals there are brakes for each REAR wheel that are depressed individually. that and the rudder are how they are steered on the ground. ( This does not include most large passenger planes which have nose wheel steering capability.

·
The Deck Guy
3,126 Posts
Most planes particularly the f18 do not steer with the nose wheel. above the rudder pedals there are brakes for each REAR wheel that are depressed individually. that and the rudder are how they are steered on the ground. ( This does not include most large passenger planes which have nose wheel steering capability.
My bad...I'm thinkin' Cessna 172!!!

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Why did the pilot do that? If there was no runway left or something I can understand, but why not just slow down in a straight line? That manouver seems like it would cause more damage to rims, struts etc.

Cool, no doubt, but why?

·
Palisade Point Const.
2,276 Posts
Why did the pilot do that? If there was no runway left or something I can understand, but why not just slow down in a straight line? That manouver seems like it would cause more damage to rims, struts etc.

Cool, no doubt, but why?
Did you notice the title of the film?
"F-18 With Flat Tire Doing Amazing Stop"
I would guess that as he slowed down, he put more and more weight on the tire. When he put all the weight down, the plane whipped around.

Amazing bit of piloting, and a good save of a very expensive bit of equipment, really.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Maybe, I'm not a jet pilot, but it looked like the aircraft was pretty slow when it whipped, (therefore all the weight on the ground, is that what you are talking about?). It almost looked staged, especially with the commentary.

But, like I say, I've never flown a jet, and certainly not that one.

·
Palisade Point Const.
2,276 Posts
Maybe, I'm not a jet pilot, but it looked like the aircraft was pretty slow when it whipped, (therefore all the weight on the ground, is that what you are talking about?). It almost looked staged, especially with the commentary.

But, like I say, I've never flown a jet, and certainly not that one.
It does look slow, but I would bet that it looks slower on video than it actually is.

The commentator says that they have a shredded tire, and the guys flying the plane are aware of it, and they are going to bring it to a gentle halt.

They also say at the end that they brought it in safely and they still have a runway open, so it's also possible that the spin was done on purpose in order to clear the runway while the plane is repaired.

Either way, I would be highly surprised if they would do anything like this if there wasn't a shredded tire.

·
Trailer park boy
4,802 Posts
It does look slow, but I would bet that it looks slower on video than it actually is.

The commentator says that they have a shredded tire, and the guys flying the plane are aware of it, and they are going to bring it to a genital halt.

They also say at the end that they brought it in safely and they still have a runway open, so it's also possible that the spin was done on purpose in order to clear the runway while the plane is repaired.

Either way, I would be highly surprised if they would do anything like this if there wasn't a shredded tire.
:blink::laughing:

·
Cabinetmaker
672 Posts
Greg: BAD Greg BAD Greg ROFLMFAO; Most aircraft DO have nosewheel steering, it actually involves the weight of the aircraft, when the full weight of the aircraft is on the gear the nosegear locks into the interconnect with the rudders and you then have steering with the rudder pedals. The rudder pedals do have 2 positions, when pushing on the bottom of the pedals you have RUDDER steering, when pushing the TOP of the same pedals you have brakes. Each wheel is independantly braked. The BIG difference with large passenger Jets is the nosewheel has it own control stick in the cockpit, called a Tiller, they actually taxi ie "drive the critter" on the ground with the tiller instead of doing the rudder pedal, brake dance.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I wouldnt worry about those struts and wheels. Theyre designed to be pounded regularly against a steel deck and then whipped around by a cable to bring it to a real fast stop. They also are attached to a steam cannon where the whole plane is drug by the front wheel/strut and launched off the nose of a ship.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts