Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im currently building myself a shed for storage/ shop space, its 10x10

i want windows but i dont want them at eye level as to make it hard to see inside so possible theives cant see my gear, so im going to factor dormers into it and have small windows up in them. ive done shed dormers, gables and hips but never a eyebrow. can anyone shed some light on creating the radiused rafters

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Interesting... on such a small scale...:shifty:

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Hope Tim shows up cause I want to do one next week.HO just informed me they want arched top window in wall under porch roof we just built.
Since it's a shed roof between two front facing dormers,I thought an arched shallow peak in the center of the shed roof would tie it together as well as provide a diverter for water and snow melt over the stairs.

I've done one,years ago.
It was built using two pieces of 3/4 ply cut to the shape of the arch and 2x4's sandwiched between as rafters.Then it was covered in copper,
but that was in Texas,no snow loads there!

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
im currently building myself a shed for storage/ shop space, its 10x10

i want windows but i dont want them at eye level as to make it hard to see inside so possible theives cant see my gear, so im going to factor dormers into it and have small windows up in them. ive done shed dormers, gables and hips but never a eyebrow. can anyone shed some light on creating the radiused rafters
Here's a great thread about them.

http://forums.jlconline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44460&highlight=eyebrow+dormers&page=2

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Here is the typical construction on the East Coast. I have done many different styles and sizes, but the framing detail is always the same. Ribs are constructed of 2 layers of 3/4 CDX plywood on 12" centers with solid blocking also at 12" centers. The completed structure is incredibly strong.:thumbsup:

Attachments

Reactions: oldfrt

·
Registered
60 Posts
Good pics and nice work Loneframer . I did them years ago in MA. and it was basically the same set up . I'm staying closer to the ground these days .

·
Official CT Greeter!
1,397 Posts
come on lone, just a couple more PLEASE lol good pics, as always I enjoy the pics...:thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
10,660 Posts
We have done a couple of those that "tunneled" through the roof about 16 feet. made radius beams from 4 plys of 3/4, one at each end and one in the center. Hung 2x8 joists on 8 inch centers. Personally, I hate the look of them most of the time. Not to mention they are such a pain to build.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
I have done small ones (5'-6' across)
just cutting the rafters out of 2X12.
Plywood laminates for larger ones
like Lone says, but the OP says
the whole roof is 10', and he wants
two of them, so......

·
Banned
16 Posts
Yo, whassup Kid?:notworthy

same ol'. started a full dormer on a bungalow in the bronx. 28x65.

first floor sunk like 3 inches on one side - took some creative tinkering to level out the new deck :rolleyes: 28' 14" micros 12"oc for this deck :blink:

piecing the walls, roof and sheeting to a friend. have a new house to start on wednesday. edit: i AM hanging that deck off the steel. you and joe carola talked me into it.
how about yourself?

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
same ol'. started a full dormer on a bungalow in the bronx. 28x65.

first floor sunk like 3 inches on one side - took some creative tinkering to level out the new deck :rolleyes: 28' 14" micros 12"oc for this deck :blink:

piecing the walls, roof and sheeting to a friend. have a new house to start on wednesday. edit: i AM hanging that deck off the steel. you and joe carola talked me into it.
how about yourself?
That deck seems pretty beefy. When I built my house I used 14" TJIs, some where 40'ers, along with a 3 1/2x14 Parallam.:eek: That boy was heavy.
You gotta get some pics of that steel hung deck. That's something not everybody gets a chance to see.:thumbsup:
Took a few days off, built a handicap ramp on Saturday.

·
Banned
16 Posts
That deck seems pretty beefy. When I built my house I used 14" TJIs, some where 40'ers, along with a 3 1/2x14 Parallam.:eek: That boy was heavy.
You gotta get some pics of that steel hung deck. That's something not everybody gets a chance to see.:thumbsup:
Took a few days off, built a handicap ramp on Saturday.
they offset the dormer by 6' on the house. so the outside wall on one side is 6' into the span of the joist, the other side is 6' outside on piers creating somewhat of a covered area. i gather the lvl's are to carry the outside wall rather than floor load. it is very solid though, nevermind the fact the original house has a dirt foundation :whistling

luckily i had a work spurt these past few months so I've been going non-stop 6 days a week, can't wait for a break though ;) every time it seems like I'll have some time off something else pops up. can't complain though.

will see what this week has to offer. last week I had 100 degree fever 4 out of 5 days so I was in no mood for pictures, even though this bungalow IS a sight to behold. hopefully I feel spunky enough to snap fotos :thumbsup:

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
right on guys, still in the brain thinking stages of the roof. walls are up. even have a neighbor who likes what he sees so far and is looking to get one built now,
i might just do a gable with the width of dormer carrying right across total span as a shed roof, time and money

gotta get it done so i can clear out upstairs and finish that space by winter

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Maybe you should consider a small "pop-up" dormer with a transom window in it. Similar to one of these.:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
668 Posts
sharp detail. how you about cutting that valley? figure your commons, mock them up and start carving ? or am i way off? thanks

1 - 20 of 24 Posts