Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon I have had a problem today regarding the finish of some metal work screens. The screens are galv and have been painted previously with a standard under coat and gloss. the painters have rubbed them down, spot primed and than decorated with Dulux metal shield. The problem is the paint below the new coats, are being soften by the solvents in the metal shield whist it is drying. creating a strong bond with the layer but it is undermining the contact between the non metal paint and the galv surface.

When the job was priced, both my sub contractor and myself could not see a big problem with the existing finish, we presumed that the paint applied in the past was fit for purpose. my question is from a jct contract point of view, is it reasonable to request an extra for the required striping back work, as this is the only way the finish will be acceptable.
cheer

·
Lack Of All Trades
1,232 Posts
One of those unforeseeable problems you find out when bidding a job. The only thing to do is be upfront with the HO. It is very reasonable to request extra for the stripping down (plus this is where the most work is involved). After all, the finished product won't last like it should and the HO will be calling you back to fix it over and over. Preparation is everything when painting anything. Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts