Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't do flooring often and I ran into a situation on a spec I'm building which I hadn't encountered before. I can think of several ways to handle it, but, thought I'd ask to see what is "standard" and/or get some ideas.

I have a single step down for a bonus room that is getting (pre-finished) hardwood flooring. The "problem" is that the stair is 14 ft wide.

So, I'm thinking about either sourcing a 14ft long piece of oak (or glue several shorter pieces from 3/4" flooring stock), and create my own nosing and stain match it to the flooring...
or..
Use several pieces of "stock" pre-finished stair nosing butted together (maybe pocket screwed together from the bottom) which I'd much rather do since it's obviously less time... but I'm also worried it might not look right as it is pre-finished.

Thoughts? How is this handled typically, especially for pre-finished?

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
I don't do flooring often and I ran into a situation on a spec I'm building which I hadn't encountered before. I can think of several ways to handle it, but, thought I'd ask to see what is "standard" and/or get some ideas.

I have a single step down for a bonus room that is getting (pre-finished) hardwood flooring. The "problem" is that the stair is 14 ft wide.

So, I'm thinking about either sourcing a 14ft long piece of oak (or glue several shorter pieces from 3/4" flooring stock), and create my own nosing and stain match it to the flooring...
or..
Use several pieces of "stock" pre-finished stair nosing butted together (maybe pocket screwed together from the bottom) which I'd much rather do since it's obviously less time... but I'm also worried it might not look right as it is pre-finished.

Thoughts? How is this handled typically, especially for pre-finished?
Aim low use pieces, High $ one pieces, protect till furniture installed.........Maybe finger jointed? 14 feet = movement, slotted fasteners?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts