Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any feelings on the hot water heater insulation wraps that you can buy to wrap around your hot water heater? Are they any good or even worth the effort? Do they really work? Does it do any good?

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
When I had a second hot water heater added to my house I discussed this with the plumber, his answer was to touch the side of the tank, was it hot? He said if I couldn't feel the heat from the hot water inside then the tank was insulated properly and therefore the hot water inside couldn't feel the cold air outside either.

Sounded logical to me.

I would like to have everyone of my hot water copper lines wrapped though.

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mike Finley said:
When I had a second hot water heater added to my house I discussed this with the plumber, his answer was to touch the side of the tank, was it hot? He said if I couldn't feel the heat from the hot water inside then the tank was insulated properly and therefore the hot water inside couldn't feel the cold air outside either.

Sounded logical to me.

I would like to have everyone of my hot water copper lines wrapped though.

I could understand that and it does make sense. But, what if the coldness on the outside caused the hot water heater to cool down faster and fire up more to keep the desired temperature. You wouldn't feel it by touch. But, you may feel it in your bill. I noticed that my hot water heater fires up more in the winter then it does in the summer

1 - 5 of 5 Posts