Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, Happy Thanksgiving!

I am a general contractor in South Florida and have a new crew installing a patio floor. Note the patio floor has uneven terrazzo, and a ton of prep work required, definitely not a easy job. One layer of terrazzo on top of another. 90% of the top layer was removed. There were some plumbing patches in the slab. My tile contractor has installed a leveling bed of Laticrete 252 (thunder) on top of the terrazzo. I have concerns as this is the wrong product for the job. Typically I am used to a self leveling product or a mortar bed. Never seen someone make soup of 252 Thinset and pour it as a leveling bed. Definitely know this goes against the manufacturers recommended installation methods. Will this last or is this garbage? Looking for advice whether or not to pull the plug with this tile contractor
Wood Flooring Floor Building material Road surface

and move on to the next one. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Mike -

thanks for your reply. Definitely, the goal was to take off the top layer of terrazzo 100% and get all the slab even (chipping/bushing) prior to starting. Never discussed what material would be used for what and where. Just have concerns with Laticrete 252 thinset being used as a leveling bed. Hard to find crews right now, actually paying 3x the average rate. Just don’t want to pay 3x for something that is not going to last. Wondering if I should pay the guy for time invested and switch to another crew. Maybe others have used Laticrete thinset 252 as a leveling bed and had no issues and I am overthinking it.

Main question is if Laticrete 252 thinset being used as a leveling bed, okay or not? Trying to confirm by fears and move on, or put them aside (as it’s not an issue) and continue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts