2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

I am a painter in Oxford MI. I am seriously considering purchasing
a scissor lift. I realize I will be limited because of landscaping and other
obstructions however I would think the time it would save me in areas
that are accessible would make it a worthwhile investment. Anybody
have any thoughts on the matter? I realize a boom would be preferable
but storage is an issue. Thank you in advance.

Scott McKenzie

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Smaller Scissor lift is pretty much useless for anything that isnt on perfectly smooth flat ground even if it has the rugged tires

Don’t know if that would affect your decision or not depending on the type of work you do and where it’s at

A normal scissor lift even on blacktop that is not level is a hairy experience when you get a couple feet off the ground

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
trailer able boom lift?

Thanks for the reply. I will have to look into a trailer able
boom lift. Any thoughts on that?

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,128 Posts
What you really need is a Z boom that has outriggers for leveling. No sure of the make though, but I guy I know that does tree trimming has one nice small unit would go up like 60'

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I would say go to your rental yard and rent a few different models and see how they work for you before diving into it.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I use a lot of lifts of various styles based on our needs for a particular job. I always rent them and pass a long any operating costs and a small mark up for having my employees certified to operate such lifts which covers the training costs.

There are only a couple of factors that would make me consider owning one, if a lift is never available when i need one, or if i was using them constantly. With good planning availability is rarely an issue.

The downside i see owning a lift is i would never have the style i need, repair costs and any liability for certification and of course insurance coverage. If i had to own one lift it probably not be a scissor a lift, but that depends on the type of work you will use it primarily for.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I'm not a painter, but it seems to me a scissor loft would be almost useless on 95% of the jobs

a trailer style or self propelled boom loft would be best

how often can you really drive right up to the place you painting and have almost level geound?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
EVIL GENIUS
2,546 Posts
if you buy one you will be cursed with never needing it. i always had tons of jobs i could have taken and made good money until i bought one. now i hardly use it.

theres pros and cons to a scissor, stick, or z boom so you need to buy all 3.:laughing:

Attachments

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
if you buy one you will be cursed with never needing it. i always had tons of jobs i could have taken and made good money until i bought one. now i hardly use it.

theres pros and cons to a scissor, stick, or z boom so you need to buy all 3.:laughing:
That's the story of my life right there....10th time renting "that's enough I'm buying one!". Famous last words...

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I use a lot of lifts of various styles based on our needs for a particular job. I always rent them and pass a long any operating costs and a small mark up for having my employees certified to operate such lifts which covers the training costs.

There are only a couple of factors that would make me consider owning one, if a lift is never available when i need one, or if i was using them constantly. With good planning availability is rarely an issue.

The downside i see owning a lift is i would never have the style i need, repair costs and any liability for certification and of course insurance coverage. If i had to own one lift it probably not be a scissor a lift, but that depends on the type of work you will use it primarily for.
Everything here is right.

I've had all kinds. I don't have any now. Repair bills all the time. A small one for interior is good, in an unfinished space. Won't do anything if not on a hard surface.

JLG (type) straight boom is great, but they weigh alot. They also don't drive on the trailer themselves. Have to be winched up. The new 4x4 ones are probably better. I didn't have that luxury. You drive one of these in someone's yard, plan on deep ruts and probably getting stuck.

Towable lift, works good, for what it is. Takes a fair amount of room to get it backed into where you want it.

Always get a rotating basket. Well worth it. Some towables have a manual rotating basket. It works fine. I actually like it, because it's one less thing to break down.

If I were to buy another one, which is a possibility. (I can't do ladders very well anymore.)
I would get a small drivable one, with outriggers. The advantage I see is they are much lighter. They can be, because you need outriggers. You can drive it to move it. I suspect it will be less wear and tear on a customers yard.

Of course if you do new construction, it won't matter. Remodeling, it will make a difference.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Ruts in the yard is a good point, we rented a 45' Knuckle boom 4 WD and man that thing was heavy, we destroyed a yard with it. Towable lifts are much lighter, another factor in the decision making process.

·
EVIL GENIUS
2,546 Posts
Michael, I am curious, what does it take to move one of those lifts to and from the jobsite? certainly another consideration for the OP.
This one weighs 9900lbs and I haul it on an 18ft equipment trailer and its not fun to load or unload. It really needs a hydraulic drop deck trailer.
E
If I were to buy another one, which is a possibility. (I can't do ladders very well anymore.)
I would get a small drivable one, with outriggers. The advantage I see is they are much lighter. They can be, because you need outriggers. You can drive it to move it. I suspect it will be less wear and tear on a customers yard.
I too would get one with outriggers. The one I have in the pictures was perfect for that job because it doesn't use outriggers it was much faster. Me and dad wired that building that was 75 wide 210 long with an attached horse barn and my dad never got off the ground one time. The downside to an outrigger machine is you have to lower the machine and raise the outriggers to move. This one I could stay up and just move down the building pulling wire or running conduit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts